Keys Trip on a Budget

Naples to West Palm and south, including the Keys
Heywood

Keys Trip on a Budget

Post by Heywood »

I had to travel down to Marathon on business Thursday and ended up with the day off on Friday, so I took the kayak along with me. Being I was only be there one day, I decided to find a place close to where I was working, grab some rest and hit it early Friday and then drive home. I found the Pelican Inn in Marathon, $76.50 a night for a clean cool room. They have a boat ramp in the back, so I hung out there Thurs and watched the sun go down.

This guy was watching the fish cleaning table very closely.

Almost done.

Finished.

So, Friday morning I got up and made a short drive to Annes Beach (MM 76) to look for some bonefish. Well, the wind that hasn’t been blowing much, decided to blow this morning, putting just a small ripple on the water. I spent a little over an hour on that flat and didn’t see anything. Not deterred, I headed over to Indian Key to check out the conditions. As I was just standing there looking at the water, trying to muster the energy to head out, I saw two small tarpon roll right in front of me. Decision made, down came the kayak and off I went . (This launch is right by the bridge)

Using a ¼ oz Chartreuse Bone Fish jig (Why? Its what I had tied on) that Capt Bryon Goss at Big Time bait and tackle had recommended, I made several cast and on the third one hooked up with an about 40 lb tarpon. Two jumps and it came unbuttoned. Two more casts and another one on, this one broke me off. Seeing how I was burning daylight, I made the choice to paddle to an island which turned out to be Lignumvitae Key (Don’t ask me to pronounce it, cause I cant.)

I took a walk out onto the dock and lo and behold what do I see??

Well, I jumped back into the kayak, made a quick paddle and anchored up. Caught 4 snook, and 2 of those little tarpon. I guess they went around 30” each. Man those are fun, can they get airborne or what.
(Sorry, no pics. Had the big lens and no back up camera)

If your ever down in the Marathon area, stop by “The Wreck” for a cold one. They serve a great Mahi Mahi samich as well. I learned a couple of things, plan your trips around the tide. Paddling back from that key was a killer. It only took a half hour of steady paddling, back that current was pretty strong. Another thing, don’t stop at the Burger King in Key Largo. Nastiest place I have ever been in.

Thanks to the Finatic for the tips on where to launch, also thanks to the Finatic and Team Penetration for keeping me awake on the drive home.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

Very cool, I'm extremely jealous.
Last edited by Chief1600 on Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Sounds like a tough business trip.. and yo umade the best of it.

Love the clear water, surprised you saw no bones. Did you happen to stop at Robbies, you was right there. Never stop at BK, it sucks.. now the Carib. how'd ya miss that, or the Last Chance in deadstead.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

Me and Derek (dsaunier) will be heading down there to do some sight seeing and fishing for 7 days with his family. The house we are staying at has 2 kayaks there so you know what I will be doing. Nice trip and I can't wait to catch a Tarpon down there. Nice trip Bill.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

americanrobster wrote:Me and Derek (dsaunier) will be heading down there to do some sight seeing and fishing for 7 days with his family. The house we are staying at has 2 kayaks there so you know what I will be doing. Nice trip and I can't wait to catch a Tarpon down there. Nice trip Bill.
Are you going to Marathon? Like I said, plan your trip around the tides and watch the passes. Wicked current in those passes.

Have fun, let us know how you do.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Where are the pics of the fat neked people at Anne's Beach? I know you have them.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

BearsFan wrote:Where are the pics of the fat neked people at Anne's Beach? I know you have them.
I gave them to Jeff per his request :lol:
americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

Heywood wrote:
americanrobster wrote:Me and Derek (dsaunier) will be heading down there to do some sight seeing and fishing for 7 days with his family. The house we are staying at has 2 kayaks there so you know what I will be doing. Nice trip and I can't wait to catch a Tarpon down there. Nice trip Bill.
Are you going to Marathon? Like I said, plan your trip around the tides and watch the passes. Wicked current in those passes.

Have fun, let us know how you do.
We will be renting a house for 7 Days in Marathon. We are heading down there in October when the weather is cooler and the rates are cheaper. I will put together a report when I come home. Hopefully, lots of fish and a great buzz will be caught while in the Keys!
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Heywood wrote:
BearsFan wrote:Where are the pics of the fat neked people at Anne's Beach? I know you have them.
I gave them to Jeff per his request :lol:
Funny. Thats what I did with mine too.

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
Rik

Re: Keys Trip on a Budget

Post by Rik »

Heywood wrote: I made several cast and on the third one hooked up with an about 40 lb tarpon.
You went all the way down to the keys to catch tarpon? You can do that 10 miles from your house.

Bonefish and permit, what happened, Couldn't catch either of those?
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Rik wrote:
Heywood wrote: I made several cast and on the third one hooked up with an about 40 lb tarpon.
You went all the way down to the keys to catch tarpon? You can do that 10 miles from your house.

Bonefish and permit, what happened, Couldn't catch either of those?[/quote]

Cant catch what you cant find. Guess I'm just an average shmuck with a fishing pole.
SRQGator
Grocery Yodeler

Post by SRQGator »

Heywood wrote:
Rik wrote:

Bonefish and permit, what happened, Couldn't catch either of those?
Cant catch what you cant find. Guess I'm just an average shmuck with a fishing pole.
Bill, it's good to know your limits. :P