Another new kayak with a motor

Rik

Post by Rik »

The rudder will pop up in the skinny, the skeg won't. IMO, it was a poor design choice. Tells me that it doesn't work very well as a kayak and they had to make 'adjustments'.

As I said, they'd have been better with a complete redesign instead of a retrofit.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

After looking at the video again I noticed, when he tipped it up to show the skeg sticking through, that it is much more flat bottomed than my Trident. Being that flat along with being only 13'(instead of almost 16' like the Trident15) it is probably neccessary to have a bigger skeg for tracking reasons.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
pbr

Post by pbr »

The rudder will not be very effective flipped up and create a lot of drag when using it in that position. Again I think the Torqeedo is the hot setup, just expensive as hell.
gregfl

Post by gregfl »

Knowing how often I hit bottom and damage my Hobie Peddles, I can imagine the buyer of this thing replacing the Mini Kota plug in on a regular basis several time, followed by a sale on craigslist.

My opinion....

great for guys trolling offshore who want don't want to paddle, or who want to troll hands free.

Useless for guys who like to fish the flats.
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

Except for the price ($1800) I'm liking this very cute Torqeedo Ultralight motor for my kayak.

15 lbs, including the battery, which supposedly goes for 8 hrs.

35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
pbr

Post by pbr »

That battery is a big reason for the high cost
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=29209&st

Post by Norm »

I can see this as an attractive alternative for someone who has a physical handicap, but wants the kayak experience. Also as we have more and more power boaters who see the advantages that are available to kayakers... they will go to this type of craft.
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

The new OK boat prompted my poll on "Techno vs Retro". In my view, it's a BOAT once you put a motor on it.

If someone has a physical issue, then assembling their BOAT once they get it on the ground would be a challenge as well. It'd be less of a challenge to launch a BOAT at a ramp from a trailer.

The first kayak I bought was a Fandango from Sam's Club. 27" wide, tippy as hell, but very quick. I added a Scotty and ruled the seas. But, we all seem to have some neanderthal desire to take the cave with us on every outing. I guess this is how motorhomes came to be.

I will kayak as long as I can safely do it. When the day comes that I can't yak safely, I'll have a yard sale, and go buy a flat boat. No, not a "flats" boat, a flat boat. A pontoon boat to be specific. And I'll stand up and fish all over the BOAT.

Once you put the paddle down, it's no longer a kayak and the kayak experience is gone ... you're now BOATING
Jerry White
Contributing author for Paddling.net since 2005
Contributing author for Florida Sportsman Magazine
Member - Florida Outdoor Writers Association
LagoonAddict

Post by LagoonAddict »

Runs all day.....

don't want it...take it out.....wanna cover more honey holes in one outing...put it in.....
Cost of conversion....about $150

Life is simple.

Bob
East Coast "Clique of One"

"'til reinforced, can we learn the ways of church-mice"
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

I think it is a very unique design and improved on some of the previous "motorized" kayaks. I didnt watch the video all the way through so I do not know the specifics. But I can see some use in this type of set up. I don't know that I would care to have one, as personally to me a kayak should be PADDLED....sorry Hobie guys, but that is my feelings about it. There are times I would be envious of having the ability to just scoot along....usually on the long paddle back, or even to be able to peddle back when my arms are tired, but I knew that going into purchasing the kayak. And once I am done, packed up and rested...I am alway more than willing and able to go back at it again....PADDLING and I wouldnt say I am one who really loves paddling.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
countryboy_ucf

Post by countryboy_ucf »

To sum up my feelings... If you want this "kayak" go get a boat.

I see no advantage to owning this over a boat, ESPECIALLY with a motor that does not easily pop up for shallow water. Here is another way to break this down, what can you gain vs. what can you lose?

You can GAIN, weight (cause your lazy ars won't paddle), a hernia (from trying to lift a car battery to your kayak), a little speed, and a little distance (assuming you were too lazy to paddle that far before).

You will LOSE, skinny water capability, ease of use, ease of maintenance, portability, lots more money, storage space, and the respect of some paddle fisherman... Not to mention, I don't think these will be allowed in a paddle fishing tourney...
Nick F
Hobie Revolution
"More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own
story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me."
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

countryboy_ucf wrote:...Not to mention, I don't think these will be allowed in a paddle fishing tourney...
If I get one I'm gonna name it GULP®! :D

...not.
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

Erick wrote:... I don't know that I would care to have one, as personally to me a kayak should be PADDLED ...
Can I have an AMEN? ;)

Ocean Kayaks is a division of Johnson Outdoors, who also owns MinnKota. Some call this "synergy. Chances are good that one of the kayak molds has reached it's EOL (End Of Life) and someone decided to modify it and drop a modified trolling motor in to it, hence the "skeg". WTF, wire it up and see if the masses will bite. The trolling motor crowd goes crazy .... get the net.
Last edited by pag_yaker on Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry White
Contributing author for Paddling.net since 2005
Contributing author for Florida Sportsman Magazine
Member - Florida Outdoor Writers Association
SlikNik

Post by SlikNik »

Another good thing about this kayak could be fighting and reviving a Tarpon. Some reverse thrust while fighting and a hands free forward revival.
Fishaddict
Supporter 2013

Post by Fishaddict »

It will need to be licensed if used in FL. That makes is a boat...
[b][i]Have Boat ... Will Fish[/i][/b]
Yakinson

Post by Yakinson »

Hello everyone, I haven't visited in a while, glad to be back.

Sorry I started on another page but I move here.
I like the new electric kayak trend and I am confident is going to catch on so I like to hear other peoples opinion. This forum has been a great resource for new comers and I think this new electric kayak trend is going to bring a lot of new people that will not paddle like we all do (did) but will get on the water to fish on a e-kayak like the Torque.

The advantages are plenty while the disadvantages are few. Like on the motor less kayaks not all the kayaks are good for all uses or users. You have to find one that suits your needs. I am sure in time OK will have one model for every use/user.

I was was very much against it until I took one for a fishing trip. I recommend everyone thinking on buying a kayak, upgrading or just for plain curiosity to demo it and I assure you that many people will be converted.

OK did a good job putting it together using good components and proven technology. I think 2k is a fair price for this boat.