Ride 135 First Impressions

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Ride 135 First Impressions

Post by Erick »

Got a couple of new kayaks from Wilderness Systems (disclaimer, I am on the Wilderness Systems Kayak Fishing Team):

One of them is the Ride 135....which Jon Ward told me I would really like alot. And as usual.....he was right! This is a great kayak. Almost can't explain why, you just have to try it. Here is the new kayak at the launch:

It is another one of those kayaks that has "fishability". Not the fastest, or the dryest....but those arent really my criteria. It paddles extremely well. It seems to glide more than cut through the water due to the hull design (pontoon styel) but that is easily corrected with paddle strokes and/or rudder controls. It handled light chop with no problems and it was almost effortless to paddle. Again really surprising. It felt good to paddle.

It was also comfortable. Now the seat pad that come built in, certainly is a little thin and overall not as nice as the Phase seating on the Tarpons and other Wildy models. But, it was adequate. I might add an after market pad. The seat back is a little flimsy, not as much support if you are used to after market seats. It is adjustable, nice feature but I would like to see it have more support. Plus, I car top my kayaks, so I lift over my head supporting the kayak on top of my head at the seat...not on this one. That hurt.

Not as heavy or hard to handle when lifting as I though it would be. Well balanced from the side handles, and although heavier than the Tarpon, still not that bad.

Cockpit area and tankwell are big enough for a family. I have not yet rigged any rold holders, and I might not. Really did not need them. And with this little rod keep feature.....I may not need them anyway:

The rudder worked with ease...and oh yeah...even I could stand in it. Still need to get used to that but I couldnt even stand in my Malibus. So this is nice although, I may never do it again.

Great kayak, surprised not more people use this boat for kayak fishing. It was only a few hour trip, not much paddling so after I take a longer voyage, I will give an update then.
Last edited by Erick on Mon May 11, 2009 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Nice Erick.

Did you win those at Jville?
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Nice write up.

Every kayak should have those rod holder cut out things. They are a nice touch.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Great report Eric. What kind of rudder is that? ...looks huge! :shock:
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

No, those are kayaks that I ordered through Wilderness as part of being on the Wilderness Systems Kayak Fishing Team. I gave the kayak that I won in Jax back to Daniels Kids....being raffled right now on the Jax site, goes through the 12th I think...but up to around $720 last time I checked. A nice Ocean Kayak Trident.

I think the design on the rudder makes it look bigger. I thought the same thing, but compared to the old rudder they used...it looks about the same. Maybe sits up a little higher. Not sure, but it was very smooth. But that may be because it was new.

Sometimes the simple things are the best. And those rod keepers are a good one.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

I also have a Ride, and love it. I had an 08 Ride, but it developed a crack on one of the cockpit scupper holes. WS and the guys over at Canoe Country warranted it for me and replaced it with an 09 boat (thanks guys). Other than the new style hatches, I think that I have found only one difference in the boats. The scupper holes on the bottom of the hull now have a square shaped opening whereas the 08 boat had round scupper holes all the way through. I wonder if this strengthens the sculler holes in any way? Anyone know the reason why they changed this? Did they make this change in the Tarpon as well?
redfish

Post by redfish »

How do you compare that to the new 140? I am planing on buying either one Monday. I am a big fan of the 140 but I have heard great things about the ride 135.
Amped Kayak Fishing and Southern Backwater on Facebook
Mercuryverado200 on Youtube
Wright Custom Rods
Shep

Post by Shep »

Look like some well designed boats.
That rudder is pretty sexy lookin. 8)
New place, new fishing adventures.