Stealth Angler - Emotion Kayaks

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
pag_yaker

Stealth Angler - Emotion Kayaks

Post by pag_yaker »

STEALTH ANGLER – EMOTION KAYAKS

I am affiliated with Emotion Kayaks. However, I am not in sales or a dealer.

Here’s how the Stealth Angler looks from the Emotion website:

Length 10 ft. 3 in.(312 cm)
Width: 30 in. (76 cm)
Weight : 44lbs. (20 kg)
*Weight capacity: 275 - 325 lbs. (125 - 147 kg)
MSRP $629

Here is how mine looked on before I put all my gear on it:

Half the fun was getting there. The Stealth is my shortest boat, and it fit like a hand in a glove in the bed of my Tundra. Throw it in and GO:

I like to stuff my rods and stake out pole in the hatch while I’m on the road or when I’m paddling to s destination – no problems here:

I modified my crate so standard bungee would secure the load better. I added “J” hooks as shown, then ran the bungee to them from below:

Here are several shots of the boat rigged how I like it:

For this particular trip, I had a little shore lunch bagged in a soft sided cooler. I had my wallet/keys/etc in a dry bag in the front hatch. I used the dry box from my Mojo to hold my camera, and placed that behind the seat for easy access:

On this occasion, the cooler was on my wife’s boat, so I got to take even more tackle:

The console has an indent that works great to hold a tackle tube (with 8 lures). I added an extender for my Scotty rod holder, which puts the rod within easy reach:

There’s always room for ...

Side view:

HANDLING / TRACKING / PERFORMANCE
Since this boat is only 10’ 3”, of course it turns easily. I quickly found out that if I really tried to dig in to my paddle stroke that the boat would turn easily then as well. That was remedied by a shorter stroke, with less force. The Stealth then tracked as well as my longer boats. Large boat wakes were handled easily. No worries concerning stability either. It’s just wide enough to make you feel confident but still narrow enough to let you keep some degree of performance.

SPEED
Once I shortened that paddle stroke, I was able to keep up with my wife in her Exhilarator. That means it’s got decent speed to be a short boat.

COMFORT
To me, this is one area where the boat really shines. And that is due to the rigid back rest. With my other boats, I adjust the seat so that I get every bit of lumbar support I can, and it’s never enough. With this seat, I get plenty of that type of support. But, at the same time, it doesn’t feel “hard” since the backrest is hollow. I can’t say enough good things about this back rest. The contouring of the seat area felt great to me, no need for any additional padding. I really did enjoy the foot braces versus adjustable braces.

I weigh in at 235 lbs. Even at that, there was very minimal water that came up through the floor scuppers. No water came in through the seat scuppers.

FISHABILITY
Face it, this is what it’s all about, right? The rear rod holders are angled enough to really make trolling easy. I don’t troll much, so my rods normally end up in the crate. The stock rod holder up front worked fine, but I’m used to having the Scotty on an extender. The angle at which the Scotty mount is positioned worked great with the extender, because not only does that raise the rod higher, but it also moves it a bit closer to the angler. Sitting “side saddle” is also a must for me. No problems were found in that regard. Having a paddle keeper on each side was a nice feature. Even in moderate chop, there was no hull slap.

OVERALL
This is definitely my “go to” boat in my fleet. All I have to do is grab my paddle, my PFD, a small amount of gear, toss it all in the truck and go.

If any of you see me out on the water, feel free to flag me down and I’ll let you take it for a spin.
Last edited by pag_yaker on Wed May 27, 2009 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry White
Contributing author for Paddling.net since 2005
Contributing author for Florida Sportsman Magazine
Member - Florida Outdoor Writers Association
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Can you stand in it?
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Paul
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by Paul »

teamshaft3 wrote:Can you stand in it?
I have not paddled the Temptation or the Angler verison called the Stealth yet, but I can stand in the 8 foot Spitfire, which is an Emotion product. I'm sure it would be easier to stand in the Stealth Angler it is 2'3" longer

Standing is different for everybody

Great review Jerry
Paul Silvernail
"Pimpin' ain't easy....but it's neccessary"
Dreads

Post by Dreads »

THANKS!!!! so much for the review....
Last edited by Dreads on Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Native Ultimate 14.5
WS-T120
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

I'm not one for standing in a kayak, so I'm not a good judge of the possibilities there. But, I'm confident that if you are a stander, then you could stand in this boat. ;)
Jerry White
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

I was just looking for the Corona photo....I knew it would be there!
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

Erick wrote:I was just looking for the Corona photo....I knew it would be there!
That's a vital part of ANY boat review I do ... ;)

FYI ... the console on the Mojo was finalized after I met with the designer (Jim Snyder) at his shop. I had some 'Rona's in the truck (not on ice yet) so we pulled one out and did some test fitting on his plug for the removable console. He had a damn water bottle in it. That simply will NOT do ... gotta remmber the paddle angling demographic.
Jerry White
RonC

Post by RonC »

nice review. sounds like what i am looking for.
gregfl

Post by gregfl »

Looks very "wilderness tarponish" if you ask me.
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

gregfl wrote:Looks very "wilderness tarponish" if you ask me.
hmmm yesss, with "Ocean Kayakish" tendencies. 8)
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
gregfl

Post by gregfl »

The nicest touch I see is the milk crate with Milk companies' name overlaid with the word "emotion".

Absolutely brilliant!
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

gregfl wrote:The nicest touch I see is the milk crate with Milk companies' name overlaid with the word "emotion".

Absolutely brilliant!
Nope - that crate was BOUGHT via the container store, sans logo. The Emotion decal fit nicely ... ;)
Jerry White