AT LONG LAST

Tree-Bone

AT LONG LAST

Post by Tree-Bone »

Finally got a shot of a Crested Caracara ! Life is good...
Last edited by Tree-Bone on Thu May 21, 2009 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Coolbeans! Never saw one before. Whereabouts was this?
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
skinnywater

Post by skinnywater »

Cisco, all of the ones we have seen have been inland, mainly open pasture land, or prarie. Mostly along US 27 in Highlands county or along SR 70 east of Arcadia.
Kevin

"Am I missing and eyebrow?" - Adam Savage
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

Very occasionally we see a couple of them out here in Duette. More often seen them going back and forth to Okeechobee along 98 East of 27. Very cool birds.
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
Tree-Bone

Post by Tree-Bone »

This pair was over by Melbourne. That is probably the northern limit of their range in Fl. Okeechobee area has larger population. Very majestic looking bird for a scavenger.
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

I've seen those Rick, in my travels down south. Its my goal to get a picture of one.

This might be a dumb question, but are they native to the US? I dont recall ever seeing one growing up here as a kid.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
gatordave

Post by gatordave »

I have tried to get a shot of them but they are very timid. The one you shot has leg bands, So maybe it was a rehab bird and it's not so timid. Great shot.
Rik

Post by Rik »

They are a very impressive bird when in flight. I've seen them several times while driving through the middle of the state on SR 70
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Tree-Bone

Post by Tree-Bone »

Native to Mexico along both coasts and south eastern Texas. Range probably extends into Central America. Scarce in Florida and consentrated around Okochobee.
They like roadkill and feed alongside vultures.

Notice that this bird has 4 leg bands.
Hank

Post by Hank »

One of the top ten shots I have seen posted.
Not only a nice crisp shot but magical to get the pose like that. The bird was as interested in the camera as the camera was in it. 8)
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Where'd the pic go?
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Tree-Bone

Post by Tree-Bone »

I finally took a closer look at my picture hosting site, PhotoBucket, and saw that everything posted is in "Public Domain". that means anyone can use my pictures and order prints on line without any compensation to me, the photographer. Not on my shift !
So last week I removed all pics from the site. I will now post low resolution pics with © and leave them there for a short period.
That is what happened to the pic. I'll post it again now for short period.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Tree-Bone wrote:I finally took a closer look at my picture hosting site, PhotoBucket, and saw that everything posted is in "Public Domain".
Rick-

Go to account options and change your photobucket account to private.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
shallow minded II

Post by shallow minded II »

Looks like that bird has been "captured" before. Do I notice a green band & a blue band on its legs?
I always catch more & larger fish when I fish by myself. Stealth is the key.
Tree-Bone

Post by Tree-Bone »

Thanks Todd.
Yes, that bird had 4 leg bands. There was a mate but that bird was sitting in a different tree and I could not get a good look at it.
They were watching a Soft Shell turtle lay eggs and hoping for an easy meal. Crows beat them to it.