Hurricane Phoenix 140

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
Backlasher

Hurricane Phoenix 140

Post by Backlasher »

I've got a Phoenix 140. It's a little "tippier" than the Tarpon 140 I previously had but it's stable enough for all but a newbie. It's made from a plastic called Trylon which is a different material than the Polyethylene we're used to seeing. The Phoenix is lighter (52 Lbs.) and stiffer than other boats so it's easier to paddle. I really don't think it's faster but it doesn't take as much effort to move it and the glide has to be experienced to believe it. The rudder is under tension so that when you release it, it goes into the water. As you can see, it's no harder than a regular kayak to rig. The stake-out pole is a surf rod blank that's about 5.5 feet tall.
The main reason I got it was because of a numbness in my left hand. My whole left arm hurt all the time. After surgery on my neck and elbow, I needed a lighter yak than the Tarpon. This one fits my needs perfectly.
Now for the bad news.....This is the second Phoenix I owned. The first met a cruel fate, it sank! We were fishing a cove on the south shore of Galveston Bay and had tied the kayaks in a row to be pulled by a powerboat. Half way to the cove we noticed that my boat was sinking. After dragging it out, I found two splits in the hull that let in a lot of water. I still don't know why that happened. I don't use ratcheting tie-downs and I hadn't dropped the boat. My guess is that it was just a defective boat. Anyway, the dealer who sold me the boat met me at the launch and Hurricane replaced the boat. I got the new one in a week, including making the boat and shipping it. With support like that, I can recommend these kayaks for anyone.

Larry
If I've told you once, I've told you a million times...don't exaggerate!
Backlasher

Post by Backlasher »

BTW, I'm about 208 lbs. right now and don't have any water in the boat. It has a unique drain system, with two holes in the cockpit and one on the bottom. It works! A few weeks ago, I got the boat filled when a powerboat decided to pass by me on plane and about 15 feet away. As I started paddling, all the water left the cockpit but not the seat. At least under normal circumstances, you don't have a wet butt with this boat. They call the drain system a venturi drain and it really works.
I liberated a milk crate that is used to hold rods, a drift anchor, anchor and a tackle box. I put a strap across the hatch, paddle bungees and a small bungee for the bow line. If you look closely, I made a half-trolley for the anchor. The rings are brass and were bought at a hardware store. The boat works for me and , even though they cost a little more, it's a good deal. I think of it as being halfway between a poly boat and a composite but the price is closer to a poly. Since I'm in Texas and you're in Florida, I didn't think prices would help very much. Check them out on your own.
Larry

Post by Guest »

Hurricanes IMO float to much, what I mean by that is that when it's windy, its harder to paddle because it's floating too much, a rudder help though. Another negative is the plastic "Trylon" aka close to be an Eddyline Plastic. Eddyline's Carbonlite 2000 is the best plastic on the market, this seems to be the same material but a lot more flexible. Tends to break in half like what happened to you
BBabcock

Post by BBabcock »

How the hell do you keep your lawn so green? If you look at my front lawn wrong, it may combust.

Good looking boat. How do you do repairs on the material? I have a boat made out of the Polyethylene and have done several small repairs with scraps of material and heat. Will you have the same flexability when the time comes?

-Brian

P.S. I am sending the water conservation police over to ticket you for watering every day. :lol: :lol:
Backlasher

Post by Backlasher »

BB,
You can repair Trylon boats with an epoxy-like substance. I used to know the name of the stuff but I forgot. If you get oyster scrapes and want to get rid of them, you just trowel this stuff into the scrapes. Lots easier than polyethylene.
As for the lawn, it rains here about every other day during the winter and spring then it quits until Thanksgiving. One of the local weathermen said we have two seasons here....summer and August.
Larry
Backlasher

Post by Backlasher »

The stuff to repair a Trylon boat is called Marine Tex. BTW I heard Liquid Logic is coming out with a new material for a kayak. 14foot boat that weighs 33 lbs.
Larry
Backlasher

Post by Backlasher »

Now Wilderness is making a thermoformed boat, the Tarpon 120 Ultralight. It's not polyethelene and it looks a lot like a Phoenix. It weighs 45 lbs.
Larry
Yakmatt

Post by Yakmatt »

I picked up a twice used 14 for $500. This is a very sea worthy yak. It is real easy to paddle, stable and fast, much faster then my OK prowler 15. I do like the prowler better for fishing, it's a little roomier and the P14 has a hump at the seat that gets in the way if you like to fish side-saddle. If I just wanted to get some place to wade fish then the P14 would be great.
mudfish

Re: Hurricane Phoenix 140

Post by mudfish »

Backlasher wrote:...The main reason I got it was because of a numbness in my left hand. My whole left arm hurt all the time...
Not to derail your thread, more as an FYI. I had the exact, same symptoms. An MRI showed it to be from 2 herniated disks in my neck. My epidural steroid injection seems to be taking care of it nicely. For the mean time anyway.

I'm aware Hurricanes are fine boats (not knockin' 'em), but to me, the plastic material they are made of sure remind me of toy boats. :?
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -