Spinning rod help

dunfly

Spinning rod help

Post by dunfly »

I've been building fly rods exclusively, so I know nothing about spinning rods. I've found some deeply discounted 7' 3 piece spinning rod blanks and though I would give it a try.

What guides do you typically use on spinning rods (without breaking the bank) and what reel seats? I'm going with traditional cork grips. The blanks are a gloss brown, so I will probably be using green or red thread with gold trim. Do you use A or D thread on spinning rods?
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
noles

Post by noles »

For guides use Fuji, skip the harloy and go with chrome Fuji Alconites. As far as placement on rods, use this method...http://www.rodbuilding.org/library/newguide.html

For reel seats, use fuji deluxe size 17

For thread use size A, there's no need for the added weight of a size D. Prep the guide foot very well, NO underwrap necessary. I think candy apple red & gold trim should look nice on a brown blank. Shoot even GARNET & GOLD would be great!

Happy wrapping.....
"whose that little motherf***er with the fly rod"
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

Thanks Noles.

I just purchased two 7', 3 piece popping blanks from Bingham Enterprises. These are discontinued blanks, no warrantee, at an 80% discount. Of course, they won't tell me who made them, but they bare an uncanny resembleance to a discontinued GLoomis GL3 P842-3. At $27.00, I didn't think I could go too wrong.

As you suggested, I went with the Fuji Alconites. I had originally planned on using the Hardaloy guides, but you talked me out of it. I also ordered the reel seat you suggested.

By the way, the candy apple red over the brown blank comes out to a garnet color if you don't use color preserver. And you know how well garnet goes with gold.
Who is John Galt?
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

Don't you think a nice blue with an orange accent would be so much nicer? :)
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
noles

Post by noles »

dunfly wrote: By the way, the candy apple red over the brown blank comes out to a garnet color if you don't use color preserver. And you know how well garnet goes with gold.
Why did you think I suggested it! :lol:

Chief ever seen a rod done in orange and blue? It comes out like crap! :lol:
"whose that little motherf***er with the fly rod"
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

Several people have asked me about these blanks. I just recieved them and they look great. I am 95% sure they are discontinued GLoomis GL3 blanks, but I can't say for certain. GLoomis is getting out of the blank business and these are discountinued blanks sold without warrantee.

http://www.angelfire.com/ks/bingham/closeout.html

To find the blanks, scroll down to Special Purchase Travel Blanks. There are 2 fly blanks and 2 spinning rod blanks. I wouldn't wait to long if you are interested. From information from some rod building boards, a lot of people are buying them.
Who is John Galt?