Malibu Stealth 12

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
Paul
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Malibu Stealth 12

Post by Paul »

Rik wrote:
If you are a sponsored angler, an employee of the manufacturer, a sales person or in any other way connected with the manufacturer - or it's competitors - we expect that you will note that in your post.
My Wife and I own Masthead Enterprises in St. Petersburg - were a dealer for Malibu Kayaks

Malibu Kayaks as introduced two new Kayaks call the Stealth 12 and 14. The Stealth 14 is basically the Malibu X-Factor with a few minor changes to the hull, but entirely new deck design. The Stealth 14 will paddle the same as the X-factor. I personally paddled a X-Factor for two years, so I know how the Stealth 14 will paddle. I decided to test paddle the new Stealth 12. The Stealth 12 is a all new kayak from Malibu. It’s design is based off the highly successful X-Factor and Mini-x hull shape.

Length 12'4" width 33" Weight 60 lbs * (probably a honest 63 lbs) Max Capacity 450 lbs
Price $999.00

The Stealth series has a center live well storage system and two center side hatches. One hatch opens to the inside of the kayak, but the other hatch is a shallow storage box, perfect for storing lures, pilers,,,etc..

Both the S-12 & S-14 have a front “gator” hatch that doubles for a child seat. The new bow hatch is much more water tight than the previously used bow hatches. 4 flush mounted rod holders and two paddle keepers are standard.

On the Water – the day I had slotted to go fishing turned out to be a breezy – blowing around 15 – 20 knots. So I got the opportunity to paddle it in adverse condition. The Stealth 12 handled the wind and waves just fine. The Stealth is easy to stand up in. The S-12 is very maneuverable and easy to turn. I thought the speed was good for a 12 foot kayak.. It is not the fastest kayak in the 12-13’ range, but definitely not the slowest. Considering how hard the wind blew the kayak I did not have any problem paddling it into the wind. The “V” style hull shape makes her track well. I don’t feel that you would need a rudder, but to each his own. I feel if the kayak tracks well you don’t need a rudder.

Features – The S-12 has a “Dry Seat” the kayak comes with unique screw in thread scupper holes and thread scupper plugs. The new style bow hatch is very water tight, which is an improvement over the old style bow hatches. The center live well tank is brilliant. The live well can be plumbed for a pump. If you are an elitist artificial lure guy/gal, then the center hatch makes a great cooler or storage area. The rear tank well is designed for fishing. My milk crate fit perfectly and it was easy to reach, from the seat area.

Comparing to my X-Factor
Speed – felt about the same the S-12 is less physical to paddle
Maneuverability – the X-Factor turns and maneuvers well, but the S-12 being shorter was easier to turn and maneuver
Stability – The X-Factor is one of the most stable kayaks on the market. The S-12 is very stable and comfortable. But not has stable as a X-Factor or S-14
Transport – the S-12 is probably a honest 63-65lbs is was easy to lift on the roof of the Suburban
The Stealth 12 is an excellent Big guy 12' kayak, but it will also fit a large variety of paddler, my wife could paddle this kayak. The Stealth 14 and X-Factor is really designed for paddlers over 200 lbs

In closing Malibu has made a one of a kind kayak that makes bring life bait a realistic option.
Last edited by Paul on Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Silvernail
"Pimpin' ain't easy....but it's neccessary"
wilfish

Post by wilfish »

By any chance did you try the rod holder up front . I would be afraid to put good rods/reels there. Other then that great report Paul
Don't steal... The Government does not like the competition
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Good report Paul...........I always liked my X-Factor, sorry I sold it, these new Malibu's look great :wink:
yakrat

Post by yakrat »

Great report, glad to finally hear something on the stealth series. I'm trying to decide between the stealth 12 & the X13. When I come to your area I fish Cockroach Bay, Anclote, Hillsbourgh river, Lake Tarpon, Lake Padgett, Lake Saxon, etc, so I'm looking for a boat that will fish both fresh & salt. Currently fishing mainly from Manta Ray 12, but I also have a Redfish 10 & Hertiage 14' Mako.
Paul
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by Paul »

wilfish wrote:By any chance did you try the rod holder up front . I would be afraid to put good rods/reels there. Other then that great report Paul
the rod holders are far enough forward, so you don't hit them while paddling

The front rod holders come standard on the Stealth series. I would only use them if i was trolling. I stored the rest of the rods in the aft rod holders or the milkcrate.

I just added a flush deck mount for a scotty rod holder to the console of a Stealth 12 for a customer today.
Paul Silvernail
"Pimpin' ain't easy....but it's neccessary"
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Nice review Paul, cant wait for mine :wink:
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
backwater bandit

Post by backwater bandit »

great report on this awesome kayak! So is the stealth 14 more stable than the stealth 12??