Fly line to leader

Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

dunfly wrote:Todd, if you follow your Google link you will get a ton of links, none of which are very helpful.
How would I know? I was just looking for the first opportunity to use that link. :lol:
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

BearsFan wrote:what the pros use
I've looked at those before, but I've been afraid to use them in saltwater. I believe the break strength is only about 10 pounds, which may be OK, I just like something a little stronger at the fly line to leader connection.
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

I have heard lots of good things about the uni knot.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
Snook712

Post by Snook712 »

To form the loop in the fly line you simply taper the very end of the fly line to a point on one side. Fold it over to make a loop and super glue it down so that the taper forms a smooth transition to the fly line. I then tie a nail knot with 20# backing line over the overlap to hold in in place. I tie a perfection loop in the butt of the leader.

I use this same method of cutting the fly line at an angle and superglueing it. Instead of backing, I use the thread used for wrapping guides on a rod. The thread goes on a bobbin and then is wrapped snuggly on the fly line to cover the joint. Secure it the same way you would in wrapping a rod.
Hooked on Youth Fishing Team - Sponsored by Cat Crap Lip Balm
"Fishing for the Future"
Ultimate 12 (Green)
Malibu Stealth 14 (Sand)
Roger
BlueCrab

Post by BlueCrab »

Snook712 wrote:To form the loop in the fly line you simply taper the very end of the fly line to a point on one side. Fold it over to make a loop and super glue it down so that the taper forms a smooth transition to the fly line. I then tie a nail knot with 20# backing line over the overlap to hold in in place. I tie a perfection loop in the butt of the leader.
Word. Or is it "werd". I think I'm supposed to add an "up" in there.

Upwerd.
Old School T160

Marion Jay "JayB" Brewington
July 26, 1949 - April 16, 2009
Lazyloop

Post by Lazyloop »

Word. Or is it "werd". I think I'm supposed to add an "up" in there.

Upwerd.
would it be wrong to say that's so fly, yeah boyeeeeee
the admiral

Creating a loop on the end of a fly line

Post by the admiral »

To form a loop in the end of your fly line I use the Lefty Kreh method. Use a bobbin with #3 thread and wrap the thread once around a leg of the bobbin to add tension. Set aside a 6 inch length of thread. Fold over a couple of inches of the fly line. Start to wrap the thread around the looped line as you would starting to wrap thread on a hook to tie a fly. Then hold the looped part between your thumbs, about 1 inch apart and swing the bobbin around the loop vigorously. It will tighten down on the looped line. I swing about 30 wraps around the line. Then take the piece of thread you've set aside and fold it over the thread you've wrapped. Swing the bobbin about 15 times over the folded thread. Cut that thread about 5-6 inches from the bobbin and feed the tag end through the folded thread loop. Then just pull the two ends of the looped thread through the wrap. You've now sealed the thread under the wrap. Cut the loose ends. To test your fly line loop insert a tool or whatever into the loop and try to pull it apart. If it doesn't move you've done it correctly. The apply Goop or Pliobond to the thread. It won't part. I don't use Super Glue because it forms a very hard, stiff finish which will eventually crack right at the line juncture. This sounds a lot more complicated than it is.
waynep86

Post by waynep86 »

To form a loop at the end of a fly line I use Rio fly lines which come with it right from the factory. There salt lines have one on each end. Tack a look at these: http://www.rioproducts.com/
Tight Lines........
bonefishwhisperer

Post by bonefishwhisperer »

I am against all loop to loop connections...they will ruin way more than they will ever help on the flats...I make everybody cut them off when fishing with me because of the limits they put on leader length and the casters ability to take a clean shot with the knots catching up on all the guides...even if you can cast them past the guides you have already taken a extra step and now are slower in the overall presentation...imagine trying to clear loop to loop connections on a 22ft leader or something similar...the fish will be totally gone by the time you even clear the knots...nail knots are quite easy to tie and I have NEVER lost a fish due to knot failure in 35yrs...as far as changing leaders out, who does that? I certainly never have...tippet is all you should ever have to change under any circumstance I can think of or ever encountered...if it requires more than tippet change I suggest another rod with a totally different setup
Gen 9:2 "And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered." .... even God likes Dreads....
mudfoot

Post by mudfoot »

what's your formula for the 22' leader?
"YOU GOT NUTTIN!"
rev

Post by rev »

If a guide ever cut off my whipped loop, we'd be back at the dock as fast as we could get there and that would be a day the guide couldn't rebook.

We've all got our systems and BFW, you've clearly got yours and it works for you, but it ain't the only way. I use loops and they have never been the reason I blew a shot at a fish.
Bayport_Bob

Post by Bayport_Bob »

I've used a method similar to this for several years...

http://www.danblanton.com/gettinglooped.html

The one I use was illustrated by an old salt named Bill Nash. He had an excellent book(let) of line/leader/tippet knot systems. I doubt any are available anymore since he died about a year ago.

I used this system for permit fishing in Belize. A pair of permit swam under my line & leader countless times without giving any of the rig a 2nd glance. The water down there is literally "gin clear". The flyline I was using was the clear Monic line, and my local guide wanted it for his outfit when I was done with the trip.

I have to agree with Rev, if a guide cut my loop off my flyline he'd be swimming back to the ramp.
waynep86

Post by waynep86 »

bonefishwhisperer wrote:I make everybody cut them off when fishing with me because of the limits they put on leader length and the casters ability to take a clean shot with the knots catching up on all the guides
When do you cast your leader up through the guides? Even with a long leader I would have enugh line, not leader out of the tip so as to not have to false cast a millon times to get the fly to the fish.
Tight Lines........
BBabcock

Post by BBabcock »

Apply some sunscreen. That has to hurt.

bonefishwhisperer

Post by bonefishwhisperer »

rev wrote:If a guide ever cut off my whipped loop, we'd be back at the dock as fast as we could get there and that would be a day the guide couldn't rebook.

We've all got our systems and BFW, you've clearly got yours and it works for you, but it ain't the only way. I use loops and they have never been the reason I blew a shot at a fish.
learn to read before you provoke something you cant finish...at what point did I say "I" would cut off somebodys loop? you are a lot of talk with nothing to back it up...I take full payment BEFORE we fish to avoid having to kick somebodys ass upon returning...its happened before, you would not make it to your car guaranteed!!!! also, I dont take everybody that ask, I screen my clients more than they do me and I turn down as many as I take ...come to my face with your attitude and I'll fix you in a hurry....dont hide behind your computer with your big talk when it concerns me
Gen 9:2 "And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered." .... even God likes Dreads....
Silverspoon

Post by Silverspoon »

:shock: :shock: :shock: