Fly line to leader

redfish

Fly line to leader

Post by redfish »

How does this look? It's a nail knot. I am new to fly fishing and I don't have all the special stuff so will 20lb mono work just for now?

Amped Kayak Fishing and Southern Backwater on Facebook
Mercuryverado200 on Youtube
Wright Custom Rods
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

Not good. You are going to have some real problems with the long tag ends. If you do it like this, you will need to trim the tag ends as close as possible. You also have the leader coming off at an angle. It needs to line up with the flyline. I prefer loop to loop connections myself.

The 20# mono will work, but I prefer 30# hard mason for the butt end of the leader.
Silverspoon

Post by Silverspoon »

dunfly wrote: I prefer loop to loop connections myself.
Could you please post a picture so we may see what you are talking about?
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

I have a feeling we will be seeing this more frequently. I just wish I could get away with sending it to a lot of my customers.
Paddles - they aren't just for the bedroom anymore.

~Mark~
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

First of all, the nail knot you tied does not look right. The leader end of the knot seems to have a loop under it that pushes it to an angle from the fly line. Both the leader end and the tag end should lie flat against the fly line. Here is a web sit that shows this.

http://www.animatedknots.com/nailknot/i ... dknots.com

I use a loop to loop connection for the fly line and leader and the fly line and backing. This makes it easy to change leaders of fly lines. It is also stronger than the nail knot connection, since the nail knot can eventually pull the fly line coating loose and strip off the fly line.

To form the loop in the fly line you simply taper the very end of the fly line to a point on one side. Fold it over to make a loop and super glue it down so that the taper forms a smooth transition to the fly line. I then tie a nail knot with 20# backing line over the overlap to hold in in place. I tie a perfection loop in the butt of the leader.

Here is a link that shows several methods of forming the loop. Mine is a combination of the tapered end loop and the nail knot loop. I start with the tapered end loop but use nail knots instead of whipping.

http://flyfisherman.com/skills/erloops/index.html

Todd, if you follow your Google link you will get a ton of links, none of which are very helpful.
islander

Post by islander »

I've been told a large fish will strip a nail knot right off the fly line. I too use loop to loop.
www.lemonbayconservancy.org
Lazyloop

Post by Lazyloop »

Red fish, now you are in the big leagues, Loop to Loop is the only way to go in the salt, cuz like momma says; salt fly fishin is like a box of chocolates you nevva know what you gonna get. :D And usually it's a big un.
rpiatt3

Post by rpiatt3 »

I haven't had a problem with the nail knot to connect the leader to fly line when tied properly and it doesn't snag any weeds if the tags are trimmed down. In fact Ive snapped 20 lb fluorocarbon (the lightest section of my leader set up) and the nail knot did not slip or move or any thing, the line just shot back at me with a little bit of force. Now I will say the loop to loop connection does make it easier to change out leaders quickly.
Silverspoon

Post by Silverspoon »

Great! Now , how do you make the loop in the end of the leader? I am not talking about the premade leaders which already have a loop.
Silverspoon

Post by Silverspoon »

Go away "Shorty". BTW, your avatar is annoying, kinda like you sometimes. JK
Bob/FLA

Post by Bob/FLA »

I use a figure 8 knot
works fine

Todd...THAT'S FUNNY!!! (http://tinyurl.com/afqg6b)

Best to all
Bob
waynep86

Post by waynep86 »

A “perfection loop” is very easy to tie and although it is not the best it is strong enough. Here is an example of how to tie it.
http://www.animatedknots.com/perfection/index.php
Tight Lines........
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

I use the perfection loop myself, but you can also use a surgeons loop

http://www.animatedknots.com/surgeonslo ... dknots.com

The only problem with the surgeons loop is that it has a slight kink to the side while the perfection loop lines up exactly with the line.
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
waynep86

Post by waynep86 »

BearsFan wrote:what the pros use
Do you use that S.A. system? Does it work well? Does it flop on the water? It looks like a lot of hardware to connect a leader to a fly-line.
Tight Lines........