Pelican Castaway 14ft

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
el_rustamino

Pelican Castaway 14ft

Post by el_rustamino »

I went with this boat because of the price. I bought it brand new from The Sports Authority for under $500. It is 14ft long, has a closed hatch on the bow and open deck storage with bungies on the stern. There is a lot of storage space in the forepeak and stern deck.

Adjustable foot rests are nice but I would like to be able to adjust the angle as well. There is an adjustable rod holder between the legs nearer the feet. I am 6ft tall and I have to come up out of the seat to reach it. There is two additional rod holders behind the seat on either side of the boat. Directly behind the seat is a "bait well" which is just a waterproof bag in a storage hatch. Wasn't too impressed with it. The boat is pretty nice overall.

The only complaint I have with the boat is with the drain holes. there are two drains at the feet and one in the stern. When shifting weight on the boat the drains would sink to water level and flood the deck. The stern would drain away no problem but the water coming in through the feet drains would flow back into the seat. I am going to try and put pieces of foam on the underside of the drains to act as check valves. I am thinking of putting holes in the seat as well but that will require a bilge pump.

Considering how much I payed for the boat and how much similar boats cost, this was a great buy.

Milan
apaulos

Post by apaulos »

I own one. Got it for an even $400 since it was missing the not so waterproof storage cover.

I'm happy with it given the price. Only thing I don't like is the tracking isn't hands off.

I ran into the same issue with the scruppers letting in too much water in too easily so I picked up a pair of 'blue' Ocean Kayak scupper plugs.

Ohhh If you haven't already, be sure to trade in the OEM paddle for something a lot nicer. I picked up a composite handle with plastic blade paddle for about $75 or so.
nikonjedi

Post by nikonjedi »

I got the Castaway 116 and I love it. Not as stable as I want and it tracks kinda goofy sometimes but for my first yak I am pleased with it.
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

I don't know much about those models but we have a Pelican Wave we got about five years ago (Fishboy's first kayka), which we now use as a spare. The material seems to be bullet proof. Ours has set in the sun all its life with no cracking or hazing. I'm sure the color has faded but there are no signs of brittleness or any other structural problems. It has even survived being kicked and stepped on by the cows when they get in the yard.
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
nikonjedi

Post by nikonjedi »

Mine is exactly the same as yours, except it's only 11ft 6 inches :) I wish they would have had the 14 up here but I only paid $200 brand new, for it so I thought it was a helluva deal
"Paddle Faster boys... I hear banjo music..."
Tarpon 160os
SC Chapter Coordinator- Heroes on the Water
www.heroesonthewater.org
countryboy_ucf

Post by countryboy_ucf »

Stop buying scupper plugs everyone!!! If you go to Wal-Mart or a golf store you can find the foam prcatice golf balls. They fit in any size hole and stay there! They work like a champ and instead of paying $10 for 2, you $2 for 10.
Nick F
Hobie Revolution
"More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own
story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me."
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

countryboy_ucf wrote:Stop buying scupper plugs everyone!!! If you go to Wal-Mart or a golf store you can find the foam prcatice golf balls. They fit in any size hole and stay there! They work like a champ and instead of paying $10 for 2, you $2 for 10.
I'm glad you reminded me about that little trick. I'm getting tired of popping my fingers out of joint plugging up my scuppers. :?
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Capt. Jack

Post by Capt. Jack »

countryboy_ucf wrote:Stop buying scupper plugs everyone!!! If you go to Wal-Mart or a golf store you can find the foam prcatice golf balls. They fit in any size hole and stay there! They work like a champ and instead of paying $10 for 2, you $2 for 10.
Brilliant! I was going to buy plugs this weekend. Thanks