Native14.5 Seat Riser

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
jdoc

Post by jdoc »

Hey LivelyBaits,

Yep, That was me... It was cool to see you"Under the smoke". Last Sunday was an awesome day to be on the water.

I was hoping to get out this weekend, but it's not looking so good.

Did I tell you I had a guy in a Hewes Redfisher call my Ultimate a "Fishing Machine" last sunday. I thought about trading him straight up, but I didn't want take advantage of him :-)
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

:shock:
Last edited by LivelyBaits on Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
jdoc

Post by jdoc »

Here are some pictures of the 2nd generation outriggers, I'm really happ with the results. The combination of the seat riser and the give me a an extremely stable ride with a great vantage point.

I find my self standing a poling all the time. I you have a Ultimate from Native and plan to stand a lot, I suggest folding up a couple of beach towels and putting them uner your feet. The towel will level off the curve of foot wells in the native. They also suck up any standing water,and provide some cushon for your feet and legs. I tried some more sohisticated solutions for this problem, towels wored as well as anything else.

paddlaroun

Post by paddlaroun »

The outriggers are nice and all but do you really need them on the Ultimate?
Dan Native 12
"Sleep in fish late"

"I know the waters cold! Wet your hand anyway!!!"
jdoc

Post by jdoc »

The Ultimate is way stable without the outriggers, but once I raised the seat up a bout 14" it became a little tippy. I found myself thinking about my movements more than I wanted to. The outriggers make the boat very stable.

I can acutally turn around, climb over the seat, and grab lunch out of the cooler in the back of the boat.
DayumSon

Post by DayumSon »

Hey Jdoc very Nice!

What was the total cost of making those outriggers and How much would it cost me to buy a set from you? 8)

Serious!
"I once cried because I did not have any shoes to wear.... until I met a man with no feet"

Dayum Son!
paddlaroun

Post by paddlaroun »

My seat sits on the top edge of my ultimate 12. I have a small bit of pvc rigged under the center of the seat. I am leaning over with a big fish it ain't tipping over. Image
But it isn't like I don't have alot of crap in mine so add the outriggers if you need them. Who am I too judge?
Dan Native 12
"Sleep in fish late"

"I know the waters cold! Wet your hand anyway!!!"
jdoc

Post by jdoc »

Hey DayumSon,

The total cost in materials was about 50 bucks, minus the pole holders that I had already installed. The cost to my marriage is still up in the air. I ignored my wife for a couple of days while I made them. It was two of the best days of my life :D Just me and my Ultimate.. Ahhh....

I bought 4ea. 6x14 Spongex lobster buoys at www.hamiltonmarine.com.com. They run about $6 each.

I'd make you a pair, but I don't think I could afford the alimony or child support. If you make some, be sure the pitch the front up slightly so they plan through the water.
Also, be sure to position them back far enough, so you don't hit them while paddling.

Good Luck..
jandbrare

Great Pictures

Post by jandbrare »

Thanks, again, for the design information and pictures.

You still like the design? And, you don't find the PVC pipe to be too flexible?

I like the design because it looks like you can shape the pipe to move the floats aft where they won't interfere with the paddle stroke?

BTW, I've done a lot of research on outriggers and I put up a site to share what I've found: http://outriggers.jerrylester.com/

Jerry