Hood-winked

Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Is there a point here?

What difference does it make? I mean really?

I know I guy here in TB that only has one arm, he does pretty well.

Just sayin....
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
fishinfoflounder

Post by fishinfoflounder »

Yes in my humble opinion there is a point here. In most instances ergonomics have mandated the way things are typically engineered & manufactured. In fishing it seems someone threw a wrench in the works.
Take for instance the bolt action rifle. The trigger & bolt are both operated with the dominant(right) hand (left handed shooters will understand immediately), WHY, because it's more capable. In the fishing industy things got a bit out of wack. I'd heard on another board that in fact a left handed angler manufactured the first fishing reels & that's why we have what we have today.
I'm not looking for an argument, just some friendly discussion concerning the happenings or mishappenings of fishing tackle.
DAILY THOUGHT: MOST PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY
BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Speaking of bolt action rifles, I can't own one. Although I'm right handed, I shoot left handed (rifle butt to left shoulder) since my left eye is dominate. But I fire a pistol with my right hand which causes a little bit of a problem but not much.

I own semi-auto rifles and/or pump shotguns. My right arm gets peppered with my .22 semi-automatic rifle as the spent shells eject to the right. Guess I could use a lever action.
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Hmmmm, now that I mention that, it seems as if I've seen an "adapter" that will allow a left handed shooter shoot a bolt action rifle geared for the right hander.

I'll see what I can find on Google or go to the Shooter's Forum and ask.
GIL

John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

I'd give my right arm to be ambi-dexterous! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wouldn't bite too hard guys, this is the same guy that said you couldn't catch big fish on spinning tackle! :lol: :lol:
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
fishinfoflounder

John wrote:I'd give my right arm to be ambi-dexterous! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wouldn't bite too hard guys, this is the same guy that said you couldn't catch big fish on spinning tackle! :lol: :lol:
How many Marlin have been landed on Spinning tackle? :wink:
DAILY THOUGHT: MOST PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

fishinfoflounder wrote: How many Marlin have been landed on Spinning tackle? :wink:
I know of one, I caught it. I am sure there a lot more than that though.

Edit-make that two, I have caught a stripe and a blue on spinning tackle.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

GILs_GONE_WILD wrote: I'll see what I can find on Google or go to the Shooter's Forum and ask.
Well, after a few pages of Google and 20 pages of Google Images I didn't see what I was looking for. :?
GIL

FrankC

Post by FrankC »

My Dad was left handed and tried to teach me to cast with my left hand. I never got the hang of it and cast with my right.

With casting tackle I do the hand switch as soon as I thumb the reel. Last year I got left hand retrieve reels for my wife and myself. Even though we reel spinning reels with our left hands, it feels really strange to reel the casting reels with our left hands. Maybe there is something to the length of the handle. Or maybe many years of reeling with the right hand has just been ingrained in us. It would be worth a try to obtain longer handles and give that a try.
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=27298&st

Post by Norm »

If ever there was an example of mental masturbation in a thread...this is it :!: :lol:
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
TerryW

Re: http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=27298&am

Post by TerryW »

Norm wrote:If ever there was an example of mental masturbation in a thread...this is it :!: :lol:
Where is Neil when I need him?

I find this topic very interesting. Neil was wondering if my left-handed retrieve was being hampered by the right-handed reel manufacturing.

Being ambidextrous has advantages and disadvantages.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Norm wrote:If ever there was an example of mental masturbation in a thread...this is it :!: :lol:
Is this where someone pipes up and says, "JUST SHUT UP AND FISH!!!"? :D
GIL

LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

:shock:
Last edited by LivelyBaits on Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

Not that anyone really cares, but I'm going to attempt to track my catching on the left-handed and right-handed reels.

Is there a difference in my retrieve or in the hookset? I just don't know.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

TerryW wrote:
Is there a difference in my retrieve or in the hookset? I just don't know.
There are variables but just see if you do notice a difference.

For someone who has the feel for it maybe there isn't. But to me the bail moving at the knuckles is a tug and pull situation. I forced myself to try it because I wanted to see what it felt like. I spent about two hours fishing that way and after about 15 minutes I felt more comfortable with it but I didn't like the "feel and speed" even after I was comfortable. I felt like I was constantly fighting a different balance with the crank being on the right.
Twice in that time my index finger nicked the bail. Less likely when your hands are moving the same direction as the bail revolution.

Hookset should not be any different. I can't imagine any way that it would be different.
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
fishinfoflounder

I fished for a time with right hand retrieve reels unti I was probably in my mid 20's. When I got my 1st LH retrieve baitcasting outfit I saw the Light & never went back.
I 've just found that I can manipulate the rod & reel better with my gear having left hand retrieve reels on them.