Wearable PFD

clwpaddler

Wearable PFD

Post by clwpaddler »

Does anyone have an opinion on the best wearable PFD? I seem to be spending more and more time alone both in the Kayak and my Gheenoe, so I feel wearing one especially at speed in the Gheenoe makes a lot of sense. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Would like to not make a mistake and have to end up buying two.

Woody
Woody
I fish well,but the catching needs work!
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Since your in a Gheenoe, I would get one of the auto inflaitable models. There has been two accidents involving Gheenoes and drownings in the past year or two, although we never did hear the cause of death on either one.

Check out Hook-1 or Masthead, both are sponsors here, Im sure they have them, just make sure they sell the replacement cartridges.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
The Below Average Angler

Post by The Below Average Angler »

I got a real nice manual inflate model at West Marine for around $90.00.
Jason
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

Make sure if you buy either an auto or manual inflate that the cartridges ore readily available..(they are not all the same )

I had a heck of a time getting cartridges for the SOS Sospenders.

I finally bought a West Marine model as a replacement. Carts are always in stock.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
kreidel

Post by kreidel »

Here is an extremely comfortable PFD, well, as comfortable as you can be wearing foam!
http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=42103
1okbyme2

Post by 1okbyme2 »

I got a couple from Cabela's about ten years ago, manual inflate style. They are comforable to wear & I've yet to deploy one.
I have the Sospenders brand.

Good thread as I had to look in the catalog to see if rearming kits are still available & they are, thanks.
"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" Joni Mitchell
Paul
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by Paul »

The inflatable lifejacket are comfortable and lightweight. If you ever had to inflate it you may be dissatisfied with how they fit or feel when they are inflated. There was a video clip around a few years ago where a paddler could not get back on the kayak with the lifejacket inflated.

remember the dude Farley from Saturday night live, in a movie inflates one of those on a plane......that's how it feels.

We stock a Manual inflate......i don't trust the auto inflatable. We had a few customers that has them go off when they got wet on.

My Dad where a manual inflate, he is in his Seventies he can swim just fine but if he got tired he got manually inflate the lifejacket....it beats drowning
Paul Silvernail
"Pimpin' ain't easy....but it's neccessary"
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

I have both kinds, manual and auto. Yes they do fit rather snuggly and it was a chore to get back in my kayak with them on, BUT, if something happened to me, especially in a Gheenoe and I couldnt pull the lanyard, it could be a life saver.

Yes, my auto one would inflate on its own. Its just a aspirin plug and takes just a little water to soften it. Thats why several of us recommended making sure you can buy the replacement cartridges. But they do work very well.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Sully

Post by Sully »

I have a belt style inflatable. Doesn't seem to be a problem with rearming kits - checked to make sure I could get them recently. However I have yet to deploy the thing. Guess I should to make sure it works.
TRUE
1okbyme2

Post by 1okbyme2 »

Sully wrote:I have a belt style inflatable. Doesn't seem to be a problem with rearming kits - checked to make sure I could get them recently. However I have yet to deploy the thing. Guess I should to make sure it works.
There's an idea Sully, next goomba everyone get thiers on & have a mass inflate, could make the Guiness book? :lol:
"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" Joni Mitchell
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

1okbyme2 wrote:
Sully wrote:I have a belt style inflatable. Doesn't seem to be a problem with rearming kits - checked to make sure I could get them recently. However I have yet to deploy the thing. Guess I should to make sure it works.
There's an idea Sully, next goomba everyone get thiers on & have a mass inflate, could make the Guiness book? :lol:
You should get in a pool and try getting back in your kayak with it, that way if it happens for real, you'll know how to do it.
Fishaddict
Supporter 2013

PFD

Post by Fishaddict »

I bought the West Marine model on sale last summer for $79. get a rearming kit too just in case you need it. It lays flat against the body and is easy to put one and take off. Coast Guard uses the MUSTANG brand... It is the Best. but pricey.
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

Just remember --- if you are using the sospender-type PFD that you are required (per Coast Guard regs) to WEAR IT at all times on the water.

Ok, so I don't follow the regs when I'm inshore fishing. That doesn't mean that you guys should be so stupid!
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
H2ODawg

Post by H2ODawg »

I have one of each. A manual SOS that I wear in my kayak, and an auto inflate made by Mustang that I wear if I'm in a stink pot. I figure if I fall out of my kayak, chances are I will still be coherant enough to deploy the manual if I really need to. Whereas if thrown from a stink pot, I may not have the ability to deploy it. As far as having one deply on it's own, I have seen them deploy inside a dry storage if there is any moisture in the hold. That's the purpose behind the auto-inflate, to deploy if it gets wet.
I fish, therefore I am.

MIKE