Problem with Dick's

FLPat

Problem with Dick's

Post by FLPat »

I recently needed my Penn spinning reel reloaded with Power Pro. I don't trust my loading spinning reels with my hand winder--never got it quite right. It works better for baitcasters. So since I was in the area, I went to Dick's near I-4 and 27.
I have used that reel exactly twice since I got the new line, and have gotten wicked wind knots both times, once with NO wind!!. I have never gotten knots like that before...I am suspicious that they did not do the best job, since their machine had broken down and we had to do it by hand!! I no longer have the receipt, so I can't go back and complain.
I have had to peel off quite a bit of Power Pro, and it's expensive. Except for Lakeland, there is no where near here I can get line put on...frustrated!! :x
I need to find someplace dependable near by....don't go to Dick's! Probably most of you wind your own anyway. Thanks for letting me vent!

Pat & her Heritage Redfish
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Hey Pat, not to dispute your claim, I have had 3 reels spooled by 2 different stores with 2 different brand braid lines. Each of them had has a wind knot / mystery knot problem at one time or another. I stood by watching them spool the lines, and each had their own technique, but I never questioned them. After all, who am I to question a pro. I tend to question the manufacturers selling points first, in doing this, I have found the vendors will be more likely to voluntarily resolve the issue for you. :wink:

-C-
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
redfish

Post by redfish »

Thats what happens when you buy Power pro. I spool SW my self and have no probelms what so ever. I have had Sw on my reels since May and there still working great.
Amped Kayak Fishing and Southern Backwater on Facebook
Mercuryverado200 on Youtube
Wright Custom Rods
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

redfish wrote:Thats what happens when you buy Power pro.
It is not the line. :roll:

Pat-here is my sugggestion-take your rod/reel to a park, or in your backyard if it is big enough, and string out as much line as you can. Put the hook in a tree and reel the line on very tight. If that does not work it may have been spooled incorrectly. The line may need to be packed tighter.

I have used Power Pro for as long as I can remember and only get it spooled at Holy Mackerel Tackle and never had a problem.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Another remedy, while out on the water, take the hook off and let some line out. Start paddling, open the bail and let all the line out. Once out, start reeling it in. This will keep the line tight on the spool.

OR

Take it off with your hand spooler, then run the line through one of the big yellow pages phone books. This to will keep it tight.

I just did one the other day like this. Works like a charm.

Like Todd said, it's not the line.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
wilfish

Post by wilfish »

Todd wrote:
redfish wrote:Thats what happens when you buy Power pro.
It is not the line. :roll:

Pat-here is my sugggestion-take your rod/reel to a park, or in your backyard if it is big enough, and string out as much line as you can. Put the hook in a tree and reel the line on very tight. If that does not work it may have been spooled incorrectly. The line may need to be packed tighter.

I have used Power Pro for as long as I can remember and only get it spooled at Holy Mackerel Tackle and never had a problem.
I just did that yesterday , I used the stop sign and walk along the street until I got to the backing then reeled it back in tight .It seem to do the trick.
Don't steal... The Government does not like the competition
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

Take your new spool of line. Tie it off to your reel, running it through your guides. now toss the spool of line into your pool-tub of water-toilet. Now start reeling the spool of one will jump all over the place but your line wont tangle. Don't over spool your line, most tackle shops place way too much line on your reel.
I use Economy tackle here in Sarasota. When I fish the Jetties for shook I only have the put 150 yds. of 20 on my reel. The guyt behind the counter always looks at me and say;s you know it will hold 350yds. 150 is enough I'll replace it in a month anyway.
Heywoods idea also works very well.
0 0 1
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

shamus wrote:Take your new spool of line. Tie it off to your reel, running it through your guides. now toss the spool of line into your pool-tub of water-toilet. Now start reeling the spool of one will jump all over the place but your line wont tangle. Don't over spool your line, most tackle shops place way too much line on your reel.
I use Economy tackle here in Sarasota. When I fish the Jetties for shook I only have the put 150 yds. of 20 on my reel. The guyt behind the counter always looks at me and say;s you know it will hold 350yds. 150 is enough I'll replace it in a month anyway.Heywoods idea also works very well.
Take it off on to another spool, then put it back on the original. The bottom line is now on top and virtually brand new.

Does that make sense?? I'm pretty hammered :lol:
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Walt

Post by Walt »

Heywood had the right answer!

Your problem is your line is twisted.

If you troll 100yds out behind you with nothing but line, that should fix it. You can also do it on land by sending someone down the street with your line end. Have them hold tension, and release. Repeat 7-8 times (not as good as trolling)

However; I have gotten batches of power pro before that just seemed contrare.

Good luck!
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Heywood wrote:
shamus wrote:Take your new spool of line. Tie it off to your reel, running it through your guides. now toss the spool of line into your pool-tub of water-toilet. Now start reeling the spool of one will jump all over the place but your line wont tangle. Don't over spool your line, most tackle shops place way too much line on your reel.
I use Economy tackle here in Sarasota. When I fish the Jetties for shook I only have the put 150 yds. of 20 on my reel. The guyt behind the counter always looks at me and say;s you know it will hold 350yds. 150 is enough I'll replace it in a month anyway.Heywoods idea also works very well.
Take it off on to another spool, then put it back on the original. The bottom line is now on top and virtually brand new.

If you mean to just put the "other" spool on the reel, then yeah, it's right. Do it twice, and you just put it back as it was originally. I must be just as hammered if I got it. ...I hope anyway. :lol:
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
RockinNReelin

Post by RockinNReelin »

All of the above suggestions are good ones but I've also learned over many years of using power pro that if there is too much line on the spool it will cause wind knots until you've cut off enough line. Power Pro should NOT completely fill the reel. So my suggestion is if you try the above suggestions and you are still getting the knots just keep cutting the line until they stop. That is, of course, unless you end up cutting and cutting to no avail. I have heard of cases where the line has been spooled backwards as well. I don't know how this can happen but apparently it does. Hope you fix the problem and keep us posted on what works.
~Sharon~
Never lie to someone you trust, Never trust someone who lies to you.
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

teamshaft3 wrote:
Heywood wrote:

If you mean to just put the "other" spool on the reel, then yeah, it's right. Do it twice, and you just put it back as it was originally. I must be just as hammered if I got it. ...I hope anyway. :lol:
Did we just agree on something?? Damn I must be hammered :shock: :lol:
J.P. FROG

Post by J.P. FROG »

I'll add one more suggestion into the mix. I've noticed when having a fresh spool of Power Pro, I seem to get more wind knots than I usually get. It could be from one of the above posted reasons or it could be that the new line is 'stiffer' and less forgiving. After casting, remember to grasp you line to stop the line from coming further off the spool as soon as your lure hits the water. I think your line is less forgiving when it is new and stiff than once it gets softer after use.

Just my $.02 worth.

Is it time to get hammered yet? :lol:
Last edited by J.P. FROG on Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

[i]He who looks outside dreams. He who looks within awakens.[/i]
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

hammered!
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
FLPat

Post by FLPat »

Thank you all for the great suggestions!! I will re-read them carefully and see which one(s) I can try.

You are all awesome! I think there was too much on the spool.

Pat & her Heritage Redfish
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

"Problem with Dicks"
I was sure this was going to be a thread on guys who dis you on fishing plans. :wink:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club