Some Skrimp Patterns

Vercetti

Some Skrimp Patterns

Post by Vercetti »

Started tying a couple months ago. Here are a few of the shrimp that will hit the water this weekend.

This is a twist on BFW's electric dread.

This is a Y2K Shrimp...didn't have all the right materials so it needs some work, had to use craft fur instead of fly fur.

This is sort of my take on a few different patterns...I call it the pimp shrimp.

- Jon
finatic
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by finatic »

Very nice work Jon.
Been doing a bit of tying myself lately and a lot more fly fishing!
How do you make them skrimp eyes in the 1st pic?
The artist formally known as Snookfinatic

finaticdesigns.com
Vercetti

Post by Vercetti »

Same here, Jeff. Not much fishing at all...
Snookfinatic wrote:How do you make them skrimp eyes in the 1st pic?
I walk down the fly fishing row at Bill Jacksons :lol: Maybe some more experienced tiers know how and could enlighten us...they aren't cheap so wouldn't mind making them myself.
- Jon
finatic
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by finatic »

I do know you can use some bead chain from your ceiling fan to use for the eyes on your patterns in pic 2 & 3. It is a whole lot cheaper than buying those fancy barbel eyes.

finaticdesigns.com
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

Maybe some more experienced tiers know how and could enlighten us...they aren't cheap so wouldn't mind making them myself.
Try this,
Get some beads color of choice red back amber whatever.
Take a 2 or 3 inch piece of 40lb mono bend it in half making a "v'
slip a bead on one end then melt the mono to form a ball and slip the up bead to the melted mono ( watch your fingers ouch that is hot ) do the other bead and then tie the "v" into your pattern.

OOOPS I forgot..nice ties Jon..I really like the dread variation.

and oh yeah for those who may be having trouble finding the plastic for BFW's "Electric Dread" check out Dollar Tree..Halloween goodie bags orange green and reddish pink.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

Nice ties, I like the dread variation, if I may ask where did you find that natuaral pink plastic stuff at? Or is it a different material? I just tied up some Green dreds, and still got a bunch of oarnge ones. I almost bought some purple plastic as well. But never did yet.....I'm looking to find that stuff in natural colors as well, but having trouble finding it. Although I got a bunch of that plastic in clear.....and a bunch of sharpies as well.....hmmmmmm :idea:
"I tell you now we won't give in
Without a vicious fight, We've been battered and left for dead, We've been beaten and we have bled-Versus the world" ~Amon Amarth
Vercetti

Post by Vercetti »

Roostah, the pink plastic is the strip off a zip-lock bag. Works perfectly.
- Jon
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Snookfinatic wrote:Very nice work Jon.............
How do you make them skrimp eyes in the 1st pic?
Image +Image
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
bonefishwhisperer

Post by bonefishwhisperer »

I always cut the "v" when the eyes are done and tie them both in...beadchain is a weak link for any saltwater fly because they rust out in a matter of hrs...even the painted ones I use...its the 1st thing to go on the fly plus it isnt very heavy...still I use them anyway because I rarely use a fly more than once
Gen 9:2 "And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered." .... even God likes Dreads....
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

bonefishwhisperer wrote:beadchain is a weak link for any saltwater fly because they rust out in a matter of hrs...
I have never had that problem before.

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
bonefishwhisperer

I dont know what to tell you....mine rust within a few hrs even if you dont even get it wet...yours must be aluminum or some alloy because it is impossible for them not to rust...if not then they should build bridges etc with beadchain
Gen 9:2 "And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered." .... even God likes Dreads....
finatic
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by finatic »

BFW-Ditto on the one use. The majority of flies whether quality store bought or tied myself get mangled after one fish or two. Never had the bead chain rust. The water quality in S. Fl. must be like the women down there...
good looking, lots of fish, but, beware where you put your fly! :lol:
Last edited by finatic on Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

finaticdesigns.com
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Snookfinatic wrote:The water quality in S. Fl. must be like the women down there...
good looking, lots of fish, but, beware where you put your fly! :lol:
I know there was a good reason I have not spent much time down there.
bonefishwhisperer wrote:if not then they should build bridges etc with beadchain
I will bring that up at my internship with Figg.

bonefishwhisperer

:lol: :lol: :lol: