Interesting patterns

mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Interesting patterns

Post by mauso1 »

including a good tutorial on the spoon fly..

http://www.geocities.com/clinscott_pfl/bwhgpage3.html

click on the Bullet Bob's Spoon Fly left menu to see the spoon fly construction.

Not exactly as I tie them but a good starting point.

Quite a few of the other patterns are worth a look also.

I'm gonna try the Casey's Soldier and Easy-Tie Shrimp
They look simple but effective.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

Looks like quite a few patterns there with an eye towards a simple tie. May have to try some of those myself.
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
Rik

Post by Rik »

In the bendback pattern, he writes, "Start by bending down the hook with pliers about 5mm from eye. About a 30 degree bend is appropriate."

Looking at the result in the pic above, wouldn't the relationship of the line pull and the angle of the hook point result in lots of pulled hooks? Looks to me like it would lever right out of the fish's mouth.

Aren't there specific bendback hooks manufactured?
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

Looking at the result in the pic above, wouldn't the relationship of the line pull and the angle of the hook point result in lots of pulled hooks? Looks to me like it would lever right out of the fish's mouth.
Probably..
Way too far back and way too much bend IMO..

here look at this :

http://www.spottedtail.com/TyingTheBendback.htm
per the author:

"Use your pliers to bend the hook shank SLIGHTLY. The biggest mistake people make with bendbacks is putting too much bend in the hook. The shank on this hook would be perfectly straight had I not bent it. You can see it's not bent very much. 'Tis better to err on the conservative side here. A hook with too much bend can't set at the strike. "
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

mauso1 wrote: Way too far back and way too much bend
Agreed. Just a little more than a slight bend will do ... does that 'splain it? :)
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey