Learning the power of the dread....

Rooster

Learning the power of the dread....

Post by Rooster »

Well, I tied up a bunch of the BFW's famous Electric Dreads, I've used them before, but I never managed to catch much....thats because I was trying to work the fly.....but I've come to find that, this fly works for you. I had one hell of a day with the dread. First there was a school of black drum an acre and a half in size, literally hundreds upon hundreds working their way across the flat. We puled the stinkpot ahead of them and waited, I dropped a cast in front of the school, let the dread hit the bottom, as soon as the school went over the area, I made one small 3" strip and BAM!!!! I connected zzzzzzzzzzzzz pop! it broke me off!. Tied a new one on, by that time the drum disappeared into the boat channel. An hour or so later, in a different spot, I got of the stinkpot and waded toward some tails I seen poking out, I arrived and got situated to be able to get a cast in with the wind, placed a perfect cast in front of a red, he stopped, his tail popped out, he ate!, then my line starts moving toward me :shock:, the fish was coming straight at me I couldnt get tension back to set the hook before it spit. I didnt even have to work this fly, it worked for me! I have never thrown anything but baitfish patterns up until now, but I've come to find that, this shrimp pattern fly is really the weapon I've been needing..........too bad my vacaton is now over and I go back to work tomorrow :cry:

Oh yeah, trout love it too....

(I dont handle trout like this usually, but when this guy came to the boatside it was all banged up and probably a-goners anyway, all thanks to what I believe was a bluefish :shock: )
"I tell you now we won't give in
Without a vicious fight, We've been battered and left for dead, We've been beaten and we have bled-Versus the world" ~Amon Amarth
bonefishwhisperer

Post by bonefishwhisperer »

good one Rooster...the fly WILL do the work and it does the same for me...it all takes place on the casting...if you hit your mark then usually thats all it takes...I rarely strip the fly more than 2 or 3 times and I have had it sitting on a sandbar while doing something else and had a bonefish pick it up and swallow it and I almost lost my rod
Gen 9:2 "And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered." .... even God likes Dreads....
aftershock

Post by aftershock »

how do i tye that looks amazing....?
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

aftershock wrote:how do i tye that looks amazing....?
Here you go.

http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=23661
"I tell you now we won't give in
Without a vicious fight, We've been battered and left for dead, We've been beaten and we have bled-Versus the world" ~Amon Amarth