Bahamas

countryboy_ucf

Bahamas

Post by countryboy_ucf »

Any tips for fly-fishing or any fishing in the bahamas? I am going on a cruise and will be asking if I can bring a rod or two along with me. Fly suggestions and what to look for would help. Do I just look for pushing water i the flats?
Nick F
Hobie Revolution
"More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own
story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me."
Lazyloop

Post by Lazyloop »

The bahamas are great for bonefish. The hard part is getting to a flat. There are lots of fringe flats on the islands that are accessable by foot. Do your homework (google earth and chat people up at the local bar). Bahamians are great people and are a wealth of local info. I would suggest getting a guide if you have limited time at port plus you get on fish quick. Generally you can get one for 1/2 days, some will take you to a flat within walking distance of where you stay.

As for the fish; they will tail, push water, and most of the time you will see the school moving as a big shadow on the bottom and not breaking the surface. Most of the fish close to civilization are highly pressured so cast 20 ft infront and let them move over the fly strip once in advance of their approach and watch the fish's reaction. Alot of the time leave it sit still and one will pick it up. DO NOT CAST into the school, cast to the flanking fish not the first fish in the formation. Fly colors white, pink, chartreuse and orange. My best luck has been small #6 bonefish sliders in white with a little pearl flash. Good stand by's are crazy charlies, clousers #4 #6 and small rug yarn crabs #4 of #6.

Here is a bone from a flat locals from the bar suggested, Exuma
[/img]http://forumpictureprocessor.com/pictur ... C00881.jpg[/img]
Lazyloop

Post by Lazyloop »

oops, here it is

BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Re: Bahamas

Post by BearsFan »

countryboy_ucf wrote: will be asking if I can bring a rod or two along with me.
Asking the cruise line or your significant other?
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
countryboy_ucf

Re: Bahamas

Post by countryboy_ucf »

BearsFan wrote:
countryboy_ucf wrote: will be asking if I can bring a rod or two along with me.
Asking the cruise line or your significant other?
Both, but I already got the go ahead from my significant other....

Thanks for the info. I will be at Grand Bahamas for a day... Probably won't have time for anything there, and then at Great Stirrup Cay (private island) for a day. There are some nice flats on one side of the island since it is a private island it probably has little pressure. I will carry a rod and if I see any fish, I will be ready.
Nick F
Hobie Revolution
"More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own
story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me."