What is the BEST kayak seat ... in your opinion ?

pag_yaker

What is the BEST kayak seat ... in your opinion ?

Post by pag_yaker »

OK, the disc has been removed, and I'm supposedly "able to resume normal activities". But before I get back to paddling, I want a good seat.

So, what are YOUR recomenations for the ultimate seat,and why?

Thanks !
Jerry White
Contributing author for Paddling.net since 2005
Contributing author for Florida Sportsman Magazine
Member - Florida Outdoor Writers Association
Rik

Post by Rik »

I use a Surf to Summit GTS Elite with a Crack of dawn pad underneath. That seat has great support and the pad adds just enough cushion.

Looking at their site, they have a new one called the GTS Expedition that has a 2" foam pad built in.

http://www.surftosummit.com/gts-kayak-seats-c-299.html

I am not a fan of the inflatable seats. Once they pop or the valve gives out (as mine did) they are pretty useless.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
The Below Average Angler

Post by The Below Average Angler »

You answered the question yourself. "Ultimate seat" as in the seat from a Native Ultimate. These truely are the best thing your bottom will ever come in contact with. I have never sat in something that compares in comfort.
Jason
Hornetbear

Post by Hornetbear »

Rik wrote:I am not a fan of the inflatable seats. Once they pop or the valve gives out (as mine did) they are pretty useless.
That valve was under a great deal of pressure. I can see why it failed.
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

Now thats funny.

Surft to Summit GTS Elite for me as well.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
SlikNik

Post by SlikNik »

I have the GTS Elite seat with the gel bottom, which has gotten kind of hard over the past year and a half so I have recently added the Crack O Dawn air cushion on top of it and it is so comfortable. You leave the valve open all the time. If you stand up it fills with air itself and then when you sit down it is full of air. It then has too much air in it and you just lift the front up do deflate to get it to a comfortable level.

Best extra 20 bucks I have spent.
Rik

Post by Rik »

SlikNik wrote: If you stand up it fills with air itself and then when you sit down it is full of air. It then has too much air in it and you just lift the front up do deflate to get it to a comfortable level.
If you put it under your GTS seat, leave the valve open and have a bit of water in your seat, it makes nice whoopee cushion noises. No one will fish anywhere near you then.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Timely thread. Used to be I could paddle/fish for 5 hours plus without even thinking I had to get out and stretch. These days, after 90 minutes my lower back and right leg is screaming for a stretch and the relief of a 10 minute respite is short lived.
I use the S. to S. Elite on my T140. It's supposed to be the Cadillac of seats.
Today I dug out the T120 that has no aftermarket seat installed. It always felt good to me with no extra bells and whistles. I haven't paddled it for much time in over a year. After replacing a few straps, and anchor trolley me and my back are going to give it a try tomorrow.
My symptoms may be nothing more than old age but we'll see. Stay tuned.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
pbr

Post by pbr »

I broke down and installed an ultimate seat in my canoe, by far the most comfortable

ruthless

Post by ruthless »

How did you get just the seat?
WHY KNOT

Post by WHY KNOT »

Tried several and would list the Native Ultimate and add a memory foam remnant. Following an injury to the back and neck took awhile to get it right. Foam was cut to fit the back and bottom and will est the thickness at 1".
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Anywhere those Elite's can be had for less money? $200 is kinda steep these days.

I know, I know Rik, it's probably well worth it for those of us with back problems. It's just hard to justify paying that much for a kayak seat. Maybe I can get my Orthopaedic doctor to write me a prescription for it.

Did you have to do any mod's to adapt it to your Tarpon?
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
fishmaster892

Post by fishmaster892 »

i put a bass boat seat in my redfish 14 by far the most comfortable seat i have every sat in but i have never tried the Ultimate
Rik

Post by Rik »

teamshaft3 wrote:Did you have to do any mod's to adapt it to your Tarpon?
Had to add 2 pad eyes. The existing pad eyes worked okay but weren't in the best position.

I hear ya on the price.
FlaPaddleFish

Post by FlaPaddleFish »

I purchased the Surf to Summit "The Drifter" seat when I went down to the Rainbow River. I forgot mine at home (3 hours away) so I went to the local outfitter and purchased it for $150. It didn't fit my boat that well but, the seat itself is very comfortable.

BTW - I'm selling it if anyone's interested. ($80 used once)
Hobie Outback S.U.V.
1okbyme2

Post by 1okbyme2 »

I have the sme seat as the ultimate in my Magic 12 & it's a wonderful seat. Very comfortable with excellent back support. Sits high & dry. I admit I don't have a lot of hours on it, about 10, but it's light years ahead of the stock seat that's in my Marquesa.
"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" Joni Mitchell