a little NC action

Let's hear reports from other places.
uncdub13

a little NC action

Post by uncdub13 »

Last few weeks have been pretty good around here. Thought i'd share a few pics.

Been on some nice oversized reds in the creeks.

Bananas are terrible luck.

I hate gettin up early, but it usually pays off.

Plenty of reds out in the ocean too.

As usual, the 5-6' blacktips are thicker than flies on !@#$ this time of year. Mostly surf casting for them, but they're pretty darn fun in the kayak too. This one was small enough to cooperate for a quick photo.

Big ol' stanky cuda.

Adult red drum are spawning in the sounds and rivers right now on through september. Pretty much gotta soak bait to catch 'em, but the fight makes up for it. Here's an average size fish from monday evening.

Probably gonna go hard after the big reds here for a couple weeks if the weather allows, then get back out in the ocean for some big mama king macks once the fall run picks up. Not to mention inshore is on fire as well. So many options this time of year, gotta love it.
ryan
Alnorito

Post by Alnorito »

Ohh my good.Thats fishing to the next level.One of the biggest cudas i ever seen,also the reeds.Congratulations. :D

How.s that compare to SC fishing.My son will be there until december at Parris Island.Im planning on taking an extra day or so to try some fishing and take a look around.I'm considering SC as my next living stop.
uncdub13

Post by uncdub13 »

Alnorito wrote:How.s that compare to SC fishing
Similar in many ways, but quite a few major differences too (bigger tides, different geographical features and that kinda stuff). I've only fished in a few areas of SC compared to the majority of NC's coastline, but from what i've seen inshore fishing is pretty darn good in SC, particularly for reds and trout. They seem to manage the fisheries down there pretty well. I know some people that fish the redfish tournaments down there, and they complain that all the fish are too big, so yeah... :lol: .
ryan
seeinred

Post by seeinred »

So now I see what you're talking about... looks like a NC road trip is gonna have to happen sometime soon... nice fish man!
For more kayak fishing reports, tips, and fishing charters please visit;
http://tampabaykayakcharters.com/

Spencer
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

Excellent work dub.....I know I have to get down there, and I will. Just got to work it out around other trips, football games on Saturday, etc. Thanks for sharing those photos and glad the fishing is going so well. That one red is a beast.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Erick- you might want to give up a college football Saturday to go find those fish. Looks like it would be worth it.

That is one monster Cuda Dub, how long was that fish and what did you catch it on? Did not know they traveled that far north.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Erick - one word: TIVO
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Great report!

That last red was a beast! Was it caught in shallows or a deeper channel?
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
uncdub13

Post by uncdub13 »

The cuda went 58" and ate a live bluefish. There's definitely no shortage of them around here. Most of the nearshore reefs and live bottoms are loaded with them all summer. That was one of the bigger ones i've ever caught though.

We fish for the big reds in deeper water for the most part, usually anywhere from 8 to 25 feet. Generally they're deeper during the day and move shallow at night. Rough water will also get them up shallow on the shoals too. They're a pretty sure bet when they're around, you just have to put in the time. It's kinda boring at times, but when it's on, it's on. We managed four fish from 42-47" the other evening (and missed just as many), and that was a slow night. The coolest part was being able to hear them drumming under the water later that night.
ryan
DouGR81

Post by DouGR81 »

Hey Ryan..good stuff man..cudas, sharks, and big reds! The yak is good luck or what?
uncdub13

Post by uncdub13 »

She gets the job done. Definitely put some mileage on her this summer. Did you end up gettin a new boat?
ryan
DouGR81

Post by DouGR81 »

uncdub13 wrote:Did you end up gettin a new boat?
Still working on it :o