Lagoon Fish

West Palm to Jacksonville
LagoonAddict

Lagoon Fish

Post by LagoonAddict »

Anyone heard anything lately on the safety of consuming Indian & Banana Rivers, and Mos. Lagoon fish??

Been a few articles in the paper lately about the muck and the heavy metals found in the muck in 10% of the river. I LOVE my redfish but am getting once again concerned about taking one home to the table!!

Bob
East Coast "Clique of One"

"'til reinforced, can we learn the ways of church-mice"
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

I would think at your age you shouldn't have to worry about it :wink:

I seem to remember there being issues about the mercury content of the offshore fish from the region as well. I would think that the lower slot redfish are relatively safe because they have less time to accumulate heavy metals.

All you have to do now is find a way to catch smaller fish.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
LagoonAddict

Post by LagoonAddict »

Damn....they let you out on BAIL......AGAIN !!!!

Good to see you're alive and sober enough to type....

yea, it really didn't bother me much til one Sunday night during a thunderstorm during dinner...the lights went out and my filet glowed green!!!!

BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

It's actually a work release.

I heard the green glow is okay. Only worry if it gives you the black light effect, then it is time to pull all of those old posters out of storage. Never mind, you probably already have them up.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
LagoonAddict

Post by LagoonAddict »

I believe the Florida today answered the question in an article printed last Saturday, August 2nd.

There has been a substantial increase in the deaths of dolphins in the Lagoon, particularly in the northern sections. The list of chemicals being found in their bodies is sad and frightening.

The main item I noticed is that the level of mercury is 20 times the lethal dosage for a human being.

Well, after reading that information, I'm sad to say I couldn't recommend anyone eat anything out of the fabulous Mosquito Lagoon.....when are we going to quit killing everything in sight, including ourselves, in the name of corporate profits???

bob

1okbyme2

Post by 1okbyme2 »

Well, after reading that information, I'm sad to say I couldn't recommend anyone eat anything out of the fabulous Mosquito Lagoon.....when are we going to quit killing everything in sight, including ourselves, in the name of corporate profits???

Why don't we ask Mr. Deregulation aka Ronald Regan? "We don't need any steenkeeng regulations", they just hurt me in the "largest bank account in the world" competition. Or perhaps we could ask Leona Helmsley, "The rules are for the little people". I think it boils down to a pretty simple solution. #1 we must start to limit the population worldwide. #2 eliminate the burning of fossil fuel & releasing the byproduct to the enviroment. Two very popular ideas, I know. :lol:
"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" Joni Mitchell
AndrewP

Post by AndrewP »

go catch tarpon instead of reds. Especially right now. Then you don't have the dilema of taking it home for eats, unless you're name is Mud .... 8)

AP
Disclaimer: Do not take anything I'm about to tell you seriously .......
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

On the plus side, I hear that the manatee over there are mercury free.

Capt Bob J.

Post by Capt Bob J. »

I doubt at this time an angler would be considered at risk for eating an occasional fish from the lagoons, unless they're pregnant.  
Consider that a bottle-nosed dolphin eats fish all day long, and that's pretty much all they eat. 

It's sad that our pollution is killing the lagoons... and it's a sad thing to have to watch happen and not be able to do anything about it.
Capt. Robert Jaspers