short trip offshore

Naples to West Palm and south, including the Keys
palmbeachpete

short trip offshore

Post by palmbeachpete »

Pescar and I were at Phipps Park at day break. Our plan was to put in at Boynton and drift down to Phipps. The winds should have been 5 mph or less but were more like 10 to 15 and picking up in the afternoon. We change our plan and put in at the Lake Worth Pier.

The north side of the pier gave us a break from the waves coming in from the SE.

The paddle out was hard. We had the wind and waves in our face.

Out on the first reef I pick up fish on the fishfinder and drop a jig. Hooked up with something that felt like a log and put this in the kayak.

After that I break out the fly rod and hook something that pulled like a truck in low gear. It takes me into the backing but in time I put line back on the reel. I bring it with in 20 feet of the kayak and it, for some reason it dose not like the color of my kayak and heads for the bottom. I do what I can to stop him before he makes bottom and my rod breaks. No more fly fishing today. We then paddle out to 120 feet and I get cut off by a king. Pescar hook up.

Pescar bring in a bonito.

OOOOOO NO, I cut off Pescar's head. Then I hook up on one.

Then we start to mark a lot of fish on the bottom. We drop our jigs and Pescar hooks up first.

I hook up soon after. We had a double on. Pescar landed his and dropped and hooked up again before I could land mine. I dropped and hooked before he landed his. We were on a big school of small amberjacks.

Lost another jig to a king.
The seas were building and it was time to go in.

Off the water by 10.45 AM. Wow, that was a hard paddle.

bluebill

THE BIG OCEAN

Post by bluebill »

Very nice trip report and photos but I do not think I wanted to be out there in my 9'-4" SOT toward the end with that big white cap
Be thankful for every day and especially those fine days on the water
bonefishwhisperer

Post by bonefishwhisperer »

I think thats pretty radical fishing...I would puke in short order
Gen 9:2 "And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered." .... even God likes Dreads....
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

We got it easy over here. Glad there isn't a big incentive to go out in the snot.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
srsfsu

Post by srsfsu »

I approve this report. Very aggressive.
mudfish

Re: short trip offshore

Post by mudfish »

palmbeachpete wrote:...Hooked up with something that felt like a log and put this in the kayak.

Awesome report.

Was this a Triggerfish or Parrottfish or? ...neat. 8)
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
1okbyme2

Post by 1okbyme2 »

Saltwater fishing is very cool. 8) 8) 8)
"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" Joni Mitchell