Offshore kayak fishing season off to a good start

West Palm to Jacksonville
palmbeachpete

Offshore kayak fishing season off to a good start

Post by palmbeachpete »

Seas, 2 foot or less, wind 5 mph out of the southeast and afternoon Tstorms. Great weather for offshore kayaking. On the water at daybreak and off before noon. Well that was my plan. I was to meet my brother, David at sunrise. He wanted to paddle and take some pics, dose not fish much. He over sleeps and we get a late start. We put in at Boynton around 8.00 am.

The water was clear as we made our way out into the Atlantic.

I was looking to make up for lost time and paddled out to a ledge in 280 feet. We paddle to the spot. The current was running at 2.3 mph to the north and there was a slick. I seen a fish break water and I cast a Catch 2000 at it and Bam, Hook up. A dolphin comes out of the water and made it's way to the kayak.

More dolphins were with it and were holding to the kayaks. I grab the fly rod, make a short cast and fish on.

The dolphin would move on and I would take out the spinner and work the water to find them again. Then take out the fly for more fun. At one point the dolphin seemed to move on and I took out the jigging rod. The water was 275 feet deep and I hooked up on the first drop. It did not seem to big and I was hoping for a snapper but it was a blue fish :scratch: Now for the good news, the dolphins came up with the blue fish and it was fly time again.

Hook a few more on spinner before the school moved on.

We had passed my jigging spots but that was OK. I had one more spot on the way in off Lake Worth and Hooked up on the first two drops. Both were small AJs.

Then on the third drop Bam. I could not stop him and he took me into the wreak. A storm was over to the west so we headed in.

Over all, 15 dolphin, 6 were on fly, two small AJs. one bar jack, one blue fish, one not sure what kind it was. and one remora on fly. Off the water by noon.
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

Good report. Looks like it was a good day to be out there.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

That is very cool. Nice job.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

MMMM Dolphin. Nice job.