Offshore kayak fishing season is almost here.

Naples to West Palm and south, including the Keys
palmbeachpete

Offshore kayak fishing season is almost here.

Post by palmbeachpete »

The seas will lay down soon. Here are some pics of past trips.

Rooster

Post by Rooster »

Those Bonita on fly surely look like fun!!!!! 8)
"I tell you now we won't give in
Without a vicious fight, We've been battered and left for dead, We've been beaten and we have bled-Versus the world" ~Amon Amarth
Redfishn'Ale

Post by Redfishn'Ale »

i'm itching to try my new rig for jigging

Pete, you seem to know this stuff pretty well, do you think its foolish to attempt this in a SIS? i've never had a problem in big seas and rough conditions on long hauls, but then again i've never hooked in a reef donkey on my boat either. I think i could manage it but i'd like to hear what you think.
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

Redfishn'Ale wrote:i'm itching to try my new rig for jigging

Pete, you seem to know this stuff pretty well, do you think its foolish to attempt this in a SIS?
I'm not Pete or an offshore expert, But I personally don't think that would be wise...at least using a sit inside for the first time out while hooking into big fish that is..Granted I've read you tour and what not way offshore, but thats a bit different than being out there hooked up to an AJ too. SOT's are much easier remount from deep water than a sit in therefore, it be a bit safer, and better safe than sorry. I would suggest get a feel for it in a SOT first then you can decide about the SIS from there....just my Opinion..
Without a vicious fight, We've been battered and left for dead, We've been beaten and we have bled-Versus the world" ~Amon Amarth
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Sickk, Sick, Sick, Sick!

Don't know if my stomach would handle those swells without chumming though. Also wonder how my T140 would do out in that deep stuff.
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

teamshaft3 wrote:Sickk, Sick, Sick, Sick!

Don't know if my stomach would handle those swells without chumming though. Also wonder how my T140 would do out in that deep stuff.
Thats what Dramamine is for :wink:
Redfishn'Ale

Post by Redfishn'Ale »

Rooster wrote:
Redfishn'Ale wrote:i'm itching to try my new rig for jigging

Pete, you seem to know this stuff pretty well, do you think its foolish to attempt this in a SIS?
I'm not Pete or an offshore expert, But I personally don't think that would be wise...at least using a sit inside for the first time out while hooking into big fish that is..Granted I've read you tour and what not way offshore, but thats a bit different than being out there hooked up to an AJ too. SOT's are much easier remount from deep water than a sit in therefore, it be a bit safer, and better safe than sorry. I would suggest get a feel for it in a SOT first then you can decide about the SIS from there....just my Opinion..

i've realized that myself but what always sticks out in the back of my mind is that SOT's were not designed for rough seas...SIS sea kayaks are designed for big stuff and i've been caught a few times in seas as big as 8-10' and its actually fun w/the right boat and a rudder...you can surf the whole way if your lucky

I'm very confident in my re-entry ability but i wouldn't want to do it if i don't have to...you are probably right about using the SOT the first time, i just feel more comfortable in the SIS boats...maybe i'll get that disco sooner than later as that is the great compromise boat (sleek AND a SOT...if it could only carry more gear it would be perfect).
palmbeachpete

Post by palmbeachpete »

I used a S.I.S. for years offshore. I love the speed of the kayaks. You must have a full skirt, a hand pump and know how to roll your kayak.
Make sure you go with another kayak.
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

palmbeachpete wrote:I used a S.I.S. for years offshore. I love the speed of the kayaks. You must have a full skirt, a hand pump and know how to roll your kayak.
Would you say the SOT is better suited? I'm also guessing you'd have to tether everything that isn't in a hatch as well as not using any scupper plugs.
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Redfishn'Ale

Post by Redfishn'Ale »

palmbeachpete wrote:I used a S.I.S. for years offshore. I love the speed of the kayaks. You must have a full skirt, a hand pump and know how to roll your kayak.

thats what i wanted to hear...i have a need for speed that a SOT just can't satisfy, thanks pete, maybe i'll see you guys out there one of these days
perch

Post by perch »

pete,
please post future outings...only blue water trips I have made were off dania and got some nice mystery hook ups.

Jacked the drag and it was a quick pop but learned up since then and have a nice fly rod with a sinking line I would like to try.

Nice pics
1okbyme2

Post by 1okbyme2 »

That is some very impressive fishing. Must really cheese off the guys in the big off shore boats. Just goes to prove that the fish couldn't care less about the size of your boat, just the color of your lure. 8) 8) 8)
"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" Joni Mitchell