Cart Question

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
FLPat

Cart Question

Post by FLPat »

Where can I find a kayak cart that has the poles that stick though the scupper holes? I would think it would be easier to handle than the strap on kind.

Pat & her Heritage Redfish
ufriverat

Post by ufriverat »

I received this one as a gift:

http://www.paddleboy.com/pages/product_ ... r_pup.html

You might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere on the Web. They have a dealer locator at http://www.paddleboy.com/pages/Dealer2.php

I've had problems with keeping air in one of the tires but that could be due to some misuse.

Also when the middle bar separates the two tires, they each go their own way. That can make it a little challenging to transport. It comes with an allen wrench inside the middle tube, which you can use to tighten the bar to prevent this from happening.
DonS

Post by DonS »

Take a look on E-bay. There are plenty to chose from. All types. Just watch shipping costs.
stroke - stroke - glide
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

Doesn't Paul (Masthead Ent)sell one like that?
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
nikonjedi

Post by nikonjedi »

Make one..... not as hard as you'd think...
"Paddle Faster boys... I hear banjo music..."
Tarpon 160os
SC Chapter Coordinator- Heroes on the Water
www.heroesonthewater.org
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

You might want to see if there's any issues about leaks forming in or near the scupper holes on your Redfish before you add any more pressure to them.

Just a thought.
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Riverpirate

Post by Riverpirate »

I do not recommend carts that go through the scuppers. That is the weakest part of a yak.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Riverpirate wrote:I do not recommend carts that go through the scuppers. That is the weakest part of a long-haired bovine.
Ditto. All of the major kayak manufacturers - I think - have had leak problems in scupper holes. As Riverpirate said, it is the weakest part of the kayak.

With all of the good carts out there that don't go through the scupper holes, I don't see any reason to use one that does. I hardly ever even put my stake out pole through the scupper hole.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
FLPat

Post by FLPat »

I didn't realize there was such a problem with the scupper holes--I think I am having a slight leaking problem and I wonder if that's where the problem is? How do I check this out?

Pat & her Heritage Redfish
Rik

Post by Rik »

Couple ways to find a leak. One way is to fill the kayak with water and see where it comes out. You have to be a bit careful doing this. You want the kayak laying flat on the ground, not on saw horses or something similar or the weight of the water can bend your kayak in half.

Another way to check scupper holes is to check it at night with a flashlight. Shine the light down the scupper hole and look at the scupper tube from inside the kayak. Of course, this requires that you can see the scupper tubes inside the kayak. If there are holes - they are typically small pinholes - you'll see a beam of light inside.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
DouGR81

Post by DouGR81 »

I've used a scupper cart on my Heritage Redfish for 2 years and haven't had any leaks or cracks near the scupper holes.
chewbaka1973

Post by chewbaka1973 »

here is a local shop that has a variety of carts and stuff

http://www.keywestpaddlesports.com/
Chewy
Use the force and your drag.........
Tight Lines!

2008 Hobie Revolution Mirage( Hobie-Wan Kenobi )
Native Ultimate 14.5 Tandem Olive