Native Majic

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
MrSpectaculous

Native Majic

Post by MrSpectaculous »

It's a good looking boat with alot of innovative features...very little has been written about it...anybody have a review?
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
Dog Guide

Post by Dog Guide »

http://www.nativewatercraft.com/catalog07.pdf

I looked at 1 at Bill Jacksons today and I love the space and layout BUT I wish for 1 more DRY storage hatch.
ummsparky

Majic 14.5

Post by ummsparky »

I paddled a majic 14.5 on a rental from Grande Tours as I am shopping for a second craft. I found it well laid out and faster than my Redfish 14. I was disappointed at the small damp storage hatch in back. It was VERy comfortable with their trademark lawn chair seating and excellent foot rests. It tracked about the same as my redfish in the wind. It does have hull slap issues but not as bad as some, not as good as the redfish. It also drafts more than the redfishI wound up scraping bottom on oyster beds and sand bars I would normally glide over. All in all it seem a good choice I liked the tandem option. It is still on my consideration list. I want to paddle an Ultimate 14.5 before I make my final decision.
plagsage

Re: Majic 14.5

Post by plagsage »

ummsparky wrote:I paddled a majic 14.5 on a rental from Grande Tours as I am shopping for a second craft. I found it well laid out and faster than my Redfish 14. I was disappointed at the small damp storage hatch in back. It was VERy comfortable with their trademark lawn chair seating and excellent foot rests. It tracked about the same as my redfish in the wind. It does have hull slap issues but not as bad as some, not as good as the redfish. It also drafts more than the redfishI wound up scraping bottom on oyster beds and sand bars I would normally glide over. All in all it seem a good choice I liked the tandem option. It is still on my consideration list. I want to paddle an Ultimate 14.5 before I make my final decision.
Is the hull on this boat pretty rigid?
The only knock I give it is that it is about 10 lbs heavier than the Ultimate, which is only an issue if you need to carry it any distance.
Native Ultimate 14.5
ummsparky

Majic 14.5

Post by ummsparky »

It seemed rigid enough to me, I am a big fella at 275 and I didn't notice any flexing. I might rent an utlimate 14.5 for the Goomba Saturday and would be happy to let you take a close look if so.
kreidel

Post by kreidel »

I own a Magic 14.5

It is a great all around kayak.
Ummsparky gave a good review. The hull slap isn't as bad if you move your seat alittle more forward. The speed is about the same as my Redfish/Marquesa 14. Wind might affect it a smidge more but not really noticeable. Seating is first class, you can search for better seating and you won't find it. Super easy to pole from or flyfish in. The adjustablity is insane, solo/tandem, rod placement with the plug and play bars, foot rests and you can take aton of gear. I didn't notice it drafting any more than the Redfish.

The bad is it will oil can if you aren't careful. With it's long flat surfaces make sure you store and transport carefully. Common sense rules here, use it. I also know the Ultimate 14.5 and 16 will warp so those to you will want to be careful of.
The nice part of the Magic is the self draining design, but if you aren't heading offshore the Ultimate is fine. You can also buy spray shields for the Ultimates. I also own the Ultimate 12.

mudfish

Post by mudfish »

How do you get to the dry storage if it's facing the stern? :?

Nice looking boat otherwise.
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Riverpirate

Post by Riverpirate »

Even though I am sponosored by Ocean Kayak I have a hard time not telling people about this yak. Especially when they are considering a tandem.
plagsage

Post by plagsage »

I like the plug n play bars for the Magic. I dont believe they have them for the Ultimates.

I created my own out of pvc to have a rod holder centered in front of me. It functions okay, but I need to remove the whole stabilizer bar to remove it from the boat.
Native Ultimate 14.5
kreidel

Post by kreidel »

teamshaft3 wrote:How do you get to the dry storage if it's facing the stern? :?

Nice looking boat otherwise.
I don't.

I really don't need dry storage on this kayak. I have a dry bag handy in case of rain for my wallet and camera. I had a Redfish 14 before this and never used the dry storage either, everything was in the rear in a milk crate.
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

Last edited by LivelyBaits on Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Uniform6

Post by Uniform6 »

Looking at buying another kayak and considering this one, 12ft for standing and sight fishing.

How's the long term reviews looking?

Thanks,

Dust