Winter Clothing

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
FishFreak

Post by FishFreak »

I will volunteer to jump in the pool with waders on at the next meeting, as long as I dont get hooked with the lures they a demmonsting. :D
David

[color=darkred][b]Proud to be a bait chucker[/b][/color]
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

Are the breatheables decent in the winter? How are they in the summer?
Since I have not stream fished in a few years I have not had the chance to use them in the summer/ spring /fall as all of my recent fishing has been in FL..

I imagine that they would work fine ..layering clothing as the water cools. If the water is above trout water Heck I just wear a pair of shorts...but most of the trout streams were less than 60 so the neos were ok then. Alot of guys use the breathables up in trout country in the summer tho..

But for fishing the flats of FL they work fine for me in the winter when the water gets just too cool for comfortable wading without them.The fishing here does not include icicles on the guides... :lol:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
Riverpirate

Post by Riverpirate »

Kingslayer wrote: Are the breatheables decent in the winter? How are they in the summer?
They are too hot in the summer but with a fleece layer they are fine in the winter.
Kingslayer

Post by Kingslayer »

I'd love to get a set for the winter. I've gotta get something either waders or a Prowler Big Game so I'm not sitting in a puddle of water all day long.
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

I've had my waders fill, on me in PA in the Susquehanna river. When the current is ripping you downstream, its scary, but as soon as they fill up completely its easy to swim, the only time they feel like true "anchors" when the water inside the boots is above the water level outside the boots, so its only in shallow water they feel like anchors. Best example, Take a gallon milk jug and fill it, 3/4 way up with water, it will only sink until the the water inside the jug and the water outside the jug is even. Place that same jug in water shallower than the water level in the jug, it will sink like a rock till it hits the bottom.

Its kind of like a sinking car, you cant budge the door until the pressure inside and outside the car are equal, but as soon as they are equal you can move the door freely.
"I tell you now we won't give in
Without a vicious fight, We've been battered and left for dead, We've been beaten and we have bled-Versus the world" ~Amon Amarth
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

Rooster wrote:I've had my waders fill, on me in PA in the Susquehanna river. When the current is ripping you downstream, its scary, but as soon as they fill up completely its easy to swim, the only time they feel like true "anchors" when the water inside the boots is above the water level outside the boots, so its only in shallow water they feel like anchors. Best example, Take a gallon milk jug and fill it, 3/4 way up with water, it will only sink until the the water inside the jug and the water outside the jug is even. Place that same jug in water shallower than the water level in the jug, it will sink like a rock till it hits the bottom.

Its kind of like a sinking car, you cant budge the door until the pressure inside and outside the car are equal, but as soon as they are equal you can move the door freely.
Smallmouth bass?
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
Kingslayer

Post by Kingslayer »

Smallmouth bass, trout, walleye more than likely.

I spent my childhood on the Allegheny River in Pa.
srsfsu

Post by srsfsu »

I went out a ton last winter and never wore waders. I find my legs don't really get cold, as long as I kept my core dry (with a fleece and rain/wind jacket over that) I was good to go. Most of the time I ended up taking that off after the sun got high enough.