Anyone care to share thier OK Trident rigged pics?

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
Lefty

Anyone care to share thier OK Trident rigged pics?

Post by Lefty »

I plan on picking up an OK Trident in the next few weeks.

I have been pouring over the interweb looking for people showing off their rigged Tridents. This will be my 1st fishing kayak, and I have gotten alot of ideas from everyone's pics of other makes/models. I'm guessing probably due to the Trident being so new, I am not finding alot of Trident rigged pics.
If anyone out there cares to share their Trident rigging info, it would be greatly appreciated.

I am thinking of mounting the forward rod holder onto the rod pod hatch so that it easily reachable from the seat. The guy at the kayak shop I go to mentioned this idea to me. I think it is feasable, with a backing plate of course. Any opinions on this.

This being my 1st kayak I plan on taking my time with the rigging, and to try to get a feel for what I want on it,and just where I want it. My fear is to go too gung-ho right away and later realize that something just isn't working and end up with a bunch of unnecessary holes in my pretty new boat.

Also, (though probably not right away) I plan on adding a rudder to this thing. Yeah I know it is not necessary, simply convenience factor. Any good or bad about the OK rudder system? The other option I have come across is the one from KFS. Any pros cons to either besides price difference?

I'm hoping for some good rigging pics, but any rigging wisdom shared is appreciated. Thanks
Matt
prowler13angler

Post by prowler13angler »

Keep it simple.

Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Thanks. Yeah I'm leaning towards that route too. Just a couple of rod holders, a crate, and maybe a seat upgrade to start things off.

The Trident comes with the Comfort Plus seat back. Is it really "comfort plus"? Or should I expect to toss it from the get go.
Matt
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

Yes spend your money on a good seat. I'd take a good seat over a good paddle any day.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
DonS

Trident rigging

Post by DonS »

Congrats on getting a state of the art kayak.
I have only had mine a few weeks & resisted the urge to load it up with stuff. It is different than most other fishing kayaks.
I have added a bungee cord from side to side near the fish finder cover. A 1/4" bugee cord can fit in the 2nd hole of the deck line retainers. A knot at each end as tight as you like works. It is the place I put the paddle blade when resting or am busy casting. The supplied paddle parks are too agresive for a temp parking.
I have installed a Scotty "compact threaded deck mount" found at Cabelas. It is backed up on the inside by plastic. The forward end of the rod pod works fine for my reach. It also is low enough to allow inverted carrying of the yak on roof racks. The Other Scotty flush mounts could work too.
I have added a couple of strap eyes on the inside of the hatch wall that allow you to secure small things that could slide out of reach in the hull.
The rear tank well has a couple of recesses on either side that will take a 6" board which makes a seat for a child.
The fish finder recess & its cover might be useless except for holding a lure box. I have not looked for one that fits yet. Any other use you can think of would be given consideration.
I have not used the OK seat that comes with the Trident. Instead I have a "Yakworks" seat that has two cylindrical rod holders built in. There are other similiar ones out there. This eliminates the need to install flush rod holders behind the seat. Some of course will use a milk crate & equip it to suit.
This may be a kayak I will keep a long time as it does it all for my personal paddling/fishing & touring needs.

Don
stroke - stroke - glide
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Thanks for the input. I am very impressed with the Trident so far.

I too have no need or plans for adding a fishfinder/depthfinder to that compartment. What I was thinking about doing is adding a ram mount in there to hold my handheld GPS.
I don't plan on using my gps everyday, but it really comes in handy when fishing in and around mangrove islands. I also plan to use it to explore Everglades NP this winter.

I agree about the paddle park straps being a little too tight. I am hoping that they stretch out a bit after some use.
Matt
Riverpirate

Post by Riverpirate »

Here is the best picture of mine rigged that I have:
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

It seems that working lures at all angles and working fish around the bow would be a nightmare with a huge rod rack sticking up in front of you. How does that work out?
Riverpirate

Post by Riverpirate »

Dustin wrote:It seems that working lures at all angles and working fish around the bow would be a nightmare with a huge rod rack sticking up in front of you. How does that work out?
Actually it is just the opposite for me. When I have rods behind me I continually catch them on my backcast. That will backlash a baitcaster real quick!!!! With them in front I can watch out for them.

I also fish a lot of rivers that have branches hanging out over the water. Rods behind you continually get hung in the trees and ripped out of the yak. With them in front they do not get in the trees.
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Thanks for the explanation. I just haven't seen that setup too often with artificial lure fishermen.
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

Riverpirate wrote:Here is the best picture of mine rigged that I have:
Did you forget to unlock your rudder?
I HATE IT WHEN I DO THAT!!! :evil:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
Riverpirate

Post by Riverpirate »

redfisher wrote:
Riverpirate wrote:Here is the best picture of mine rigged that I have:
No. I can reach back there and unlock it if I need to. Honestly I rarely use it.
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

That's funny. I think I use my rudder (now that I have one)more than my paddle.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

No. I can reach back there and unlock it if I need to. Honestly I rarely use it.

If it's goin to waste on the back of yours.....wanna take it off and sell it to me? :D

I really want one but OK wants $270 for one. :shock:
Matt
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Lefty wrote: I really want one but OK wants $270 for one. :shock:
Yeah, ain't that wild!? A rudder for 1/3 the cost of most kayaks!
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
DonS

Rudder for Trident

Post by DonS »

That $270.00 gets you a "KIT"
Drill 4 holes, cut a port in the end of the tankwell,install hatch, thread tubing then cable to rear. Install rudder & foot pegs on predrilled sites. Connect each end of cables then go paddle.
Or, your dealer will be happy to do it for you.

Don
stroke - stroke - glide