Need St. George Island Advice

Big Bend to Pensacola
timmbur

Need St. George Island Advice

Post by timmbur »

I'll be on St. George Island the first week of October and will be doing quite a bit of surf, pier and kayak fishing. I'll be targeting trout, reds, spanish and possibly flounder. I'm no newbie, but usually only get down to saltwater once or twice a year.

I'd appreciate any tips on what artificials to use and where to go this time of year and any other advice anyone might have.

thanks in advance.
A smooth sea never a skilful mariner made
rev

Post by rev »

Three general suggestions--

St. George Island State Park, little boat ramp--tons of oyster bars around. Work them. Tide doesn't matter, as long as it's moving.

St. Joe Bay--Stump Hole--there is a kayak/canoe launch at the SW corner of the bay. Should be going off for trout that time of year.

Lanark--east of Carrabelle--work the docks east of the marina. Historically, this was one of my better fall redfish beats.

I miss St. George more than I miss anything else about the Panhandle. Enjoy.
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

I am with rev. Go to St. Joe Bay, the fishing is much better. If the East end of St. George is open try to get out there, 4WD Required. Lots of big reds, tarpon, sharks, pompano, and catfish. Grouper possible as well.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
timmbur

Post by timmbur »

Thanks for the info guys,

Rev, I think I know the ramp you are talking about. That would be a great place to launch a kayak. On the map I notice an island not far around the bend from there. Marsh Island, I think it's called.

As for St. Joe Bay, I have fished it with great success, but the bull shark I saw there last year has me a little fearful of launching a kayak. It was in a deep hole over by the big island. I just get a little nervous paddling or wading knowing that creature and others are in the same water, if you know what I mean! I guess I need to get over that.......but it's tough for a hillbilly like me.

I would love to go to the East End of the island, but alas, I won't be in a 4-wheel drive vehicle, and it's way to far to walk.
fsule73

Post by fsule73 »

I fished the St George Island area regularly when I lived in Tallahassee. The surf fishing can be great. We caught a number of reds, trout, and sharks right off the beach! Years ago, you could fish from the seawall after you crossed the first bridge...I don't know if you still can, or if the road is still the same (Its been about 10 years).
Be wary if you are are wading, there are MANY large sharks in the water around the island. One warm summer day, I watched as a man waded from the beach, across the trough and onto the sandbar. After a large shark took up residence between him and the beach, the man had to wait for boat to pick him up!! Good Luck...make sure you let us know how you do.
timmbur

Post by timmbur »

fsule73,

I got back from St. George a couple of weeks ago. We had some decent fishing but the wind hurt us some. Caught some flounder, trout and my brother landed a nice Red near Goose Island. We rented kayaks for 3 days and had a blast. I know what you mean about the sharks. My brother waded out just a little too far off a oyster bed and spooked one up.

I've heard of a man that walked on water, but now I've just seen another one!