Malibu X-factor

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
kspops

Malibu X-factor

Post by kspops »

OK, so it may not be new, and not that stylish, But the Malibu X-factor is a horse of a kayak. At 14 plus feet, it will hold a large load, Rated for 600 lbs. It can hold more than one person in the rear tank well. Or with the optional Gator Hatch, a small child up front. Compared to my old kayak (Mainstream Kingfisher), this beast paddles very nicely. I have an '05 model (?) purchased from Dayfisher ( thanks again) in Feb. I have given it a torture test by camping out on Anclote Key for a couple days with all my gear packed into and on the kayak. It carried it well. Compared to the other brands ( OK Prowler Big Game, Cobra Fish N Dive, And the Native 14.5...), the X-Factor is IMHO a good choice.
ImageImage

Length: 14' 4"
Weight: 65 lbs
Width:(at beam) 33"
Depth:(from waterline) 4.75"
Footrests: Deluxe Adjustable Track System
Max. load: 625 lbs.
Yes, I can get 20 feet of Pontoon boat equipment on a 16 foot Pontoon boat....
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

They are a nice kayak, lots of room and very stable.

The only knock on them is they are very heavy. Keep that in mind if you wil be loading on a rooftop by yourself often.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Todd wrote:They are a nice kayak, lots of room and very stable.

The only knock on them is they are very heavy. Keep that in mind if you wil be loading on a rooftop by yourself often.
What Todd said is very true it's the only reason I sold mine........That and the fact it was Erick's before me and all the baggage that came with that....just kidding Erick :lol: I loved the X-Factor but I was recovering from major surgery and lifting that boat onto my roof was killing me..........Now that I am back to full strength I would give the X-Factor another try.......
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
Paul
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by Paul »

Quote:
If you are a sponsored angler, an employee of the manufacturer, a sales person or in any other way connected with the manufacturer - or it's competitors - we expect that you will note that in your post.
I'm a Malibu Kayak dealer

My Personal is an X-Factor

I love the X-Factor - it is an excellent fishing platform.

I like having the extra stabiility for standing and sight fishing. At 6'1" 205 and very comfortable

Sure the trade off for stablility is speed, but really your fitness level and a better paddle is the determining factor in your speed and ability to cover ground

yes a thinner kayak is easier to paddle, but i prefer a more stable platform for fishing

I bet the aveage X-Factor is around 70 lbs or less with the bow hatch and center hatch out - i have no trouble putting the x-Factor on top of my surburan - there are plenty tricks to loading a kayak

Paul Silvernail
"Pimpin' ain't easy....but it's neccessary"
wilfish

Post by wilfish »

I need to check out your shop sometime
rsieminski

Post by rsieminski »

I have 2 of them, a Yellow one for myself, and a Mango one for my wife. I am 6'1" and 230#, and she is 5'11" 165#. Neither one of us are fat, and I'd say we're in better than average shape. We have no problem paddling or manuvering the X. We tried the Big Game, Redfish, Tarpons, Perceptions, etc. The Big Game is a tank, slow but stable...the X is more stable. The Redfish was a good tradeoff between stability and speed, and we would have 2 of those but they were wetter than the x, and not as stable. The Tarpons...well, they're wet..OK ride, but none of them compares to the stability, dryness, storage, comfort, open water handling, ...It is IMO THE FISHING PLATFORM. You can take a child along with you without getting a tandom, and the X does not even feel it. I got the baitwell, and that's a very cool thing.

1 suggestion: DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THE CRACK OF DAWN RUDDER, get the Feather lite.
Kingslayer

Post by Kingslayer »

After fishing with FishFreak while he had this kayak I've got to point out one very large flaw with this kayak and that is it's hull design. While it's very stable, it's also very noisy. The hull slap on this boat was unbelievable.
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

pretty "thick" but nice, however i bet it's not too comfortable reaching for those front flush-mounts. :?
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
rsieminski

Post by rsieminski »

We took the noise into account too, and we thought the Big Game made more noise, but maybe not? I did not have them side by side. I weigh 235#, and 6'1" tall so the choice of stable fishing platforms for me was slim. I'm just lucky that I found the X, cause even my wife enjoys the ride best out of all that we tried.

The front flush mounts are about as far up as I can reach. I have 3 scotties up there too, and they are easier to reach.

I just realized that Paul is the guy that I got 1 of mine from. He's a good guy, and will give you a good deal, but most important is he was HONEST.

The only problem I have seen with mine, is the red dry bag's for the hatch will not stay put? I have asked Malibu about it, and they are getting back to me.
kspops

Post by kspops »

rsieminski wrote:
The only problem I have seen with mine, is the red dry bag's for the hatch will not stay put? I have asked Malibu about it, and they are getting back to me.
I have the same thing happen with mine, I wonder if some velcro would help?
Yes, I can get 20 feet of Pontoon boat equipment on a 16 foot Pontoon boat....
Paul
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by Paul »

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:09 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pretty "thick" but nice, however i bet it's not too comfortable reaching for those front flush-mounts.

I use the front flush mount rod holders when I'm standing up paddling. I keep a rod in one holder and the stakeout pole in the other. If I want to cast, I'll put the paddle in the paddle holder and pick up the rod and make a cast.

Yeah it would be a long reach from the seat area. I use a scotty (not shown) mounted on the console for a forward rod holder

The X-Factor has some hull slap, like most other kayaks. But I would not say it is Very Noisy. And Yes some kayaks are deadly quiet
Paul Silvernail
"Pimpin' ain't easy....but it's neccessary"
Rik

Post by Rik »

red dry bag's for the hatch will not stay put
None of them do......and they aren't dry if you have any water inside your kayak!
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
rsieminski

Post by rsieminski »

Oh, yeah those front flush mount would be difficult to get to. Mine are closer, and set up so I can troll and not interfere with paddling. Great color, I almost got the grey.
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

You can move some of the weight to the front of the boat and it greatly reduces the hull noise. I put my kayak cart and sometimes my cooler in the front hatch of my Prowler biggame. It's either that or adjust my trim tabs once I have it up on plane. :D :lol:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club