My best fishing trip ever!

Let's hear reports from other places.
Hatch

My best fishing trip ever!

Post by Hatch »

June 11th I drove to Michigan for a bittersweet family gathering. My siblings and I got together to bury my Father's ashes. Dad was laid to rest next to my Mother who died in '83.

The highlight of my visit was the time I spent with my little grand-nieces ages 2 1/2 and 5. I decided I wanted to teach them to fish, so I asked my sister to stop at Bass Pro on the way back from the cemetery to buy some rods and reels for them. The clerk took me to the toy section, but I asked him for something nicer. We left with 2 Ugly Stick combos, perfectly sized for tiny hands (and pretty fun for the big kids, too!)

Kirsten took to it like a pro and by the end of the week was casting and reeling on her own. Eva caught on, too, and landed 4 fish with just a little assistance from her Auntie. All fish were caught on artificials and immediately released.

Over the past year I have not been on the water as much as the years before due to a bum elbow (from fishing) and major work obligations. This was only my second time fishing this year, but this more than made up for the days missed. Nothing will ever compare to these very happy days with these 2 precious and very talented anglers. Except another trip with them.
Tree-Bone

Post by Tree-Bone »

Way to go Hatch !

Sounds like you have been fishing as often as I have this past year. We should go out one of these days.

TB
Rick
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Very cool, looks like you two really "got into it".
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Very , Very cool. Nice fish. They will remember those fish for the rest of their lives.

By the way ...is the Auntie single?
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Hatch

Post by Hatch »

Rick-Sounds like a plan. You're in the Safety Harbor area, right?

BearsFan-Thanks. Actually there were 3 of us. The one in the picture caught one after another and the 2 1/2 year old caught 4. I lost count on my catch.

Tropview-Thanks, the Auntie part is actually in relation to the girls' Dad and she is single, but a bit of a handful.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Wonderful Stacy, and if that elbow is keeping you from paddling, you won't need to paddle in the Li'l Darlin. Just give me a holler and you can have the guest seat! :wink:
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
X-Capt Bill

Post by X-Capt Bill »

Stacy,

Those pictures remind me of when my kids were young and we lived in Sebastian. I lived on a tributary to the Sebastian River and we caught all kinds of fish with cane poles from the bank. They loved it! Jessica insited on kissing every fish before releasing it. I have photos of her kissing them! The only ones I remember that she didn't kiss was a Tarpon that pooped on her and a toothy Barracuda. The kids are grown and on their own now. We don't get to see one another much anymore. I hope they remember those days as fondly as I do.
XCB
Hatch

Post by Hatch »

John, I would absolutely love a trip on the Lil' Darlin' !! I have a couple of big work projects that will be completed by the 3rd week of July, so I will be in touch. Thanks!

XCapt Bill, When are you coming for a visit?
Everybody keeps telling me the girls will always remember the fishing, even without pictures. I remember only a few things from my childhood, heck, sometimes I don't even remember what I had for lunch. Then I meet people who remember what they had for lunch in 1982 and who waited on them.

I do remember one particularly nice trip to the Boca Grande area with a gentleman angler of some renown. It was a very beautiful day, great company and a little shark action while wading on a sand bar at the mouth of a creek. The day also marks when my elbow first started acting up. It's doing much better, so maybe it's time for another trip to the sand bar.
X-Capt Bill

Post by X-Capt Bill »

Stacy,

I was just down a couple of weeks ago and we had an "Old School" Ho-Down at Tierra Verde while I was there. We paddled out to Tarpon key and had a "Committee Meeting". When we got back to the launch Ray was there with the air conditioned motor coach and JayB was greeting all as usual. We BBQ'd chicken and fried fish for a few hours before reality sent each on their respective ways. It was great to see the guys and we missed you! I'll be sure to get in touch with you next time I plan to be in town and perhaps we can find another shark or two on that sandbar? Cow Creek wasn't it :wink:
XCB
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

Awesome fishing report.

She looks "awed" by that fish
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
ray-uk

Post by ray-uk »

cool stuff stacy, i'm sure they will remember it for a long time to come and hopefully go on to become fully fledged members of the angling fraternity.

ray.
I'm not here to be liked. I do this for the good of the paddle-fishing community.
Hatch

Post by Hatch »

go on to become fully fledged members of the angling fraternity.
Oh no, I'm keeping them away from fraternities! :twisted: