Hobie Revo

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
AKA Rod

Hobie Revo

Post by AKA Rod »

This is one fine and though out kayak,it is the best kayak I have
been in so far.I have too many good things to list about this kayak,
If you never tryed one you should.
I am too old to die young.
J.P. FROG

Post by J.P. FROG »

I recently purchased the Revolution due to shoulder problems which limited my kayaking to less strenuous outings. The best thing, and certainly not the only thing, about the Revolution is the ability to move thru the water using the peddle mechanism. Not only is it more efficient to use your leg muscles to propel the kayak through the water, it frees up your hands for fishing, rigging, and other task (such as attending to your coffee or beer on the way to your fishing spot). I just recently went out fishing on a brisk day. As the day progressed, the winds picked up substantially and on my return trip of more than a mile into a 20 to 25 knot wind and against the outgoing tide, I was able to easily peddle at trolling speed and caught fish all the way back to the launch.

I was a little concerned after making the purchase as to where to put a forward rod mount, as I don't like to place my rod in my lap when rigging or after catching and releasing a fish. Mounting a tube style Ram Mount forward on the gunwale, solved this problem. That type of mount rotates and clamps on a "ball mount" and can easily be maneuvered to any position, including laying flat, which puts it completely out of the way.

Albeit a little wet in a quartering sea, she is a very stable and seaworthy kayak. I haven't tried standing up in her yet, but feel confident that it is not beyond the realm of possibility. I'll wait 'till after the water warms up a bit to try that.

Another great feature, is the easily accessible and spacious forward hatch. It has a simple, and easy bungee system to 'unlatch' and get into. The best thing about it is I can easily and safely move forward while in the water, unlatch the hatch, and get into my cooler for a sandwich or cold drink. I couldn't do this with my previous two kayaks.

Just forward of the seat and aft before the rudder, are two "twist lock" hatches that holds a removable "Tupperware" style compartment able storage bin. This is quite handy for keeping the commonly used lures/hooks and keeping your cell phone, etc. easily accessible. These removable bins can quickly and easily be removed to access additional storage area below.

It is possible to use the peddle mechanism in skinny water by just shortening your stroke. The fins, when not needed, can be tucked up against the hull, giving the same draft as most any other kayak.

Overall, this is one well thought out, stylish, and very fishable kayak. If it were strictly a paddle kayak, I'd say it's design would put it alongside the top fishing kayaks, with the peddle mechanism for propulsion, that opens up a whole new experience in kayak fishing, and in my opinion, moves it to the top of the list.
Gary

[i]He who looks outside dreams. He who looks within awakens.[/i]