Wenonah Vagabond solo canoe

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
vivian

Wenonah Vagabond solo canoe

Post by vivian »

This was my first solo canoe purchase 3 years ago. The model was the basic royalex version and I ordered the optional aluminum footbraces. It was very comfortable using a crazy creek canoe chair. I had the canoe set up for sitting not kneeling when I first used it. The paddle I used was a 240 Mitchell double blade. But love paddling it with a bentshaft paddle as well. I weigh 170 - 5' 6" bring about 30 lbs of gear which includes the cooler.

Speed: comparable to same length recreational kayak.
Comfort: Very comfortable to fish out of, you have to get used to the canoe as your center of gravity is higher. Once the canoe is full of weight from cooler and equipment it feels even more stable. You can move around to access your gear easily and remain dry. You can also lower the seat some more if not interested in kneeling for even more stability.
Tracking: no weathervaning when trimmed properly and responds well to slight leans enabling quick turns. Maneuvers very well in creeks and rivers.
Weight: very light at 42lbs I can easily shoulder carry the boat from car to put in. Also easy to load on my van.
Wind: canoe has a low center depth of 12" was as affected by wind as other SOT's fishing with me. The canoe paddles well in wind and chop, crossed a large bay in 20 mph and gusts with 2' chop and although scary, the canoe could handle the conditions. Would not want to do that on a regular basis. :shock:
Fishability: quiet, high seat position helps to spot fish for better view than from a kayak. Easy to load gear into, no hatches to mess with. Lot's of options for outfitting but I like things simple.

Negatives: the royalex really scratches very easily especially when used in an oyster reef environment.