Newbie to Kayaking

Introduce yourself. It all starts with your first post. Jump in, the water's fine.
Sparty52

Newbie to Kayaking

Post by Sparty52 »

My mother in law lives in Oldsmar and she doesn't have a garage so I can't store a "hard" kayak. After a bunch of research I bought a Saturn Pro Ocean Kayak. I have only got to test it a couple times out. I did buy a longer paddle as the width is about 40". I liked the way it tracked in the wind with a skag up front and one in the back. The floor is very sturdy and you can stand up in it. I have it rigged the way I like it. I live in MI, but I come down every couple months to go fishing. most of my fishing has been at Phillippe Park(sp?) and the Honeymoon Causeway. I will be coming down in a few weeks and found some new spots that I want to get into. Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated. I am new to saltwater fishing and I love it!

Thanks.
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Re: Newbie to Kayaking

Post by Manning »

Welcome. I am guessing by the fact that you fished Philippe Park that you are in the Sarasota area when you are here. There are a number of good launches in our area. You can learn a great deal from the forum section on Sarasota launches. Good luck.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
kmeng

Re: Newbie to Kayaking

Post by kmeng »

Welcome to the forum! I too live in Oldsmar and fish the areas around Upper Tampa Bay often. There are plenty of places to launch and catch fish. You can go to Mobbley Bayou and fish the creeks and flats around there, or head a little east on Hillsboro/Tampa road and launch at Upper Tampa Bay park ($2 fee). Shoot me a PM next time you're heading down and I'll help lead you to some nice areas. I'm always looking for fishing buddies.

Manning, I think he's referring to Phillipe Park in Safety Harbor. I caught my first ever redfish on those flats by the power lines!
Do what you love, love what you do, and most of all, love life.

"Don't seek to follow the footsteps of the masters, seek what they sought"
Native Ultimate 14.5 Solo in Olive