Hello from Nevada, Now Floridian

Introduce yourself. It all starts with your first post. Jump in, the water's fine.
rollbar

Hello from Nevada, Now Floridian

Post by rollbar »

Arrived in Florida about 3 months ago from a 5 yr hiatus.

My son and I bought the BPro Ascend FS128T and my daughter bought a smaller Yak.

Working very well so far and it is our first Yak.

Jim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agmKPiyhBlw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqAN4mwwiUM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ascend FS128T "The Yacht" :)
MotorGuide 30lb Thrust Trolling Motor.

CCA Florida Member.

'65 CJ5 Navy; '74 CJ5; '80 CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7
NarcSgt

Re: Hello from Nevada, Now Floridian

Post by NarcSgt »

Welcome home.......if you ever wanna fish south Pinellas or Manatee County.....drop me a line!

Randy...aka....NarcSgt
rollbar

Post by rollbar »

NarcSgt wrote:Welcome home.......if you ever wanna fish south Pinellas or Manatee County.....drop me a line!

Randy...aka....NarcSgt
Sweet, just settling in. I'm sure my sons and I would like that very much. Never lived on the West Coast and it is very different. Never been fishing out side of Sunset park or Howard park (we are about maybe 10 min from them).

One thing I don't understand or really don't know is how far out would I have to go to hit deeper water than 8'? East coast is no problem.

New to this Yak thing and liking it very much.

Thanks again,
Jim

CCA Florida Member.

Rik

Post by Rik »

What are you looking for in water deeper than 8 from a kayak?
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
rollbar

Post by rollbar »

Rik wrote:What are you looking for in water deeper than 8 from a kayak?
Bigger fish/different fish. Just different over on the West Coast of Fla. Those who fish offshore on the East Coast can relate.

Just wondering. I don't have a chart of the area yet and just looking at some apps on the iPhone for this area it seems very shallow as you keep going West unlike fishing off Ft. Lauderdale etc.

Just different fishing/have to get use to it/learn it. :thumbright:

CCA Florida Member.

Rik

Post by Rik »

Yep, it is different. Paddle a mile offshore on the east coast and you are in very deep water fishing for sailfish. Go a mile here and you're in 20 foot of water and it is a flat sand bottom. There isn't much offshore kayak fishing on this coast unless you are going to mother ship out 20 miles. There are some artificial reefs within paddle distance (paddle distance being very subjective) but you'll be competing with a lot of power boats.

Learn to love redfish, trout, snook and flounder in the shallows. (and ladyfish, lizardfish, jacks and gafftop sail cats) We don't often fish in water over 4 foot deep here and quite often you'll spend your day in 2 foot or less. Learn how to fish mangroves, open grass flats and small bays.

We do have a couple offshore contenders at certain times of the year - tarpon and kingfish. They are very seasonal. Even then it is within a mile of shore and 20 foot or less depth.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
rollbar

Post by rollbar »

Wow, thank you very much. Guess I didn't need to buy my Lowrance then. :scratch:

I have caught a few lizard fish-never seen them before. Threw them back. I guess that is what you are suppose to do w/them.

Never had flounder, red fish, ladyfish, lizardfish, or gafftop sail cats.

Kings yes=very good. Caught a few 16"+ trout but tossed them back for next time. Never have eaten a trout from here.

Most fish I catch are or feel more slime or than the East Coast.

Thank you again for the info :salute:

Jim

CCA Florida Member.

kmeng

Post by kmeng »

M-170 huh? I've got an M38A1 but it's in GA at my parents house. I've fished out around Fred Howard Park many times. Really nice grass flats all around there. I've heard of some BIG trout (Big for W coast) being caught around there. And I've caught my share of reds and a few snook around there too.

I will probably be out that way this weekend keep an eye out for a desert camo Malibu Stealth.

Welcome!
Do what you love, love what you do, and most of all, love life.

"Don't seek to follow the footsteps of the masters, seek what they sought"
Native Ultimate 14.5 Solo in Olive
rollbar

Post by rollbar »

Thank you-I'll be out there Friday morning-will put in at Sunset Park just a stones throw South of HPark. Easier for me to launch "The Yacht" / can back right to the water.

Saturday I have to help paint a building but usually I am out most weekends/Friday is my promenit day.

Thanks again and maybe we will meet up if not this weekend/next,
Jim

CCA Florida Member.