Just Starting

Introduce yourself. It all starts with your first post. Jump in, the water's fine.
Arik81

Just Starting

Post by Arik81 »

I am fairly new to salt water fishing and just bought a couple kayaks a few months ago. Been going out about once a week in the Sarasota area and cant seem to get enough. I braved the wind and rain and spent about 4hrs in the area of Long Bar in Sarasota Bay yesterday (1/9) managing to pull in 4-5 trout (16-18 in)and 2 flounder (both 13 in). Looking forward to participating in some events and learning as many tips as I can.
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Re: Just Starting

Post by Manning »

Welcome. I am also in Sarasota. I fish Buttonwood Bay quite a bit. Where did you put in to get to Long Bar?
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
Flatz Komander

Post by Flatz Komander »

Welcome. I am from Sarasota/Bradenton as well. Great place to fish from a kayak. There are a lot of launches...just keep your eyes out for them. You will find that you will start looking for launches and trying to figure how to launch from all kinds of places.
I launch from Durante (sp?) Park on Longboat Key when I am going to fish the longbar area. It is just north of Buttonwood. Take Gulf Bay Road all the way to the end and vere to the left for parking. Great access to longbar/sister keys.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

I also have launched from Durante park, but never paddled across to Long Bar, but it would be easy if the wind is not an issue.
You are right, searching for launch sites is part of the fun. Google Earth is your friend.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
Arik81

Post by Arik81 »

I actually launched from Bayshore Gardens at the dead end of 26th St. West. It was a decent paddle out there but plenty of pot holes to fish on the way.