Yup, another new guy with a couple of questions

Introduce yourself. It all starts with your first post. Jump in, the water's fine.
dutchk

Yup, another new guy with a couple of questions

Post by dutchk »

Hello folks!

Sorta feel like a kid in a candy store. So much candy, so little time!

About me. 58 and married to a non angler, so-so recreational partner tag-along. I've spent the last 40 or so years wading every stream I could get into, within the state of Pennsylvania. Mostly a fly guy and have spent hours trudging through rhododendron and crawling on my belly up to little mountain streams in hopes of landing a 10" native brookie. The largest long rod I own is a 9', 6 wt that I use on big water (Delaware River, etc) and my spinning gear consists of a couple of ultra lights when I feel like tossing homemade spinners at trout and smallmouth.

I've vacationed and traveled throughout Florida over the years and in 2009 took a chance on the housing market improving and bought a house in Cape Coral. We'll retire there right after tax season ends in 2014. In the meantime, we've made trips every few months and each time have rented kayaks to paddle around the Fort Myers area. All recreational stuff, I have yet to wet a line. Our house is only 1 mile from the Sirenia Vista park launch site, for those of you familiar with the area, and I really love the paddling around the Pine Island area.

So now I'm researching my next adventure and that is buying my first fishing kayak. I'll probably buy and use it on PA lakes until its time to relocate. Here is a list of those I've done some prelim looks at so far: Emotion Grand Slam Angler, Tarpon 140 Angler, Malibu Stealth 12 and 14, Wilderness Ride 135, and Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler. As you can see, I lean toward SOT. I'm 6'1" and weigh 215 in my skivvies. I do like to carry stuff and enjoy an occasional weekend tent trip, so I'm looking for a yak with sufficient carrying capacity for my bod and gear. I expect to put some miles on the water, mostly around Pine Island but maybe some up to a few miles offshore, so I guess I should also consider something fairly fast. Stability is probably highest on my list because I do envision standing a lot, fly rod in hand. Anyway, I will greedily and most gratefully accept any advice or recommendations to help further my research. I will test out anything I plan to purchase.

Finally, anyone here from the Fort Myers area? Any paddling clubs or other groups to hook up with?

Many thanks. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading the forums!
Dutch
Rik

Re: Yup, another new guy with a couple of questions

Post by Rik »

Are you in town now?
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
dutchk

Post by dutchk »

Rik wrote:Are you in town now?
Sorry, no. We planned to be there from the 22 April to 10 May but my mother-in-law just went into the hospital with a stroke so we're in limbo for a while. I have a week long float/fish upstate around 15 May with some life long riff raff buddies so if we don't make it down as planned, we will probably hold off until the end of May.
Rik

Post by Rik »

We're having a Demo Day this coming Sunday with 20+ boats on display. Would have been a good time for you to see and paddle a bunch of different boats.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
bossip2

Post by bossip2 »

Dutch,
I'm down Ft. Myers past 10 years of winters. In past had canoe. 11"7" Sportspal. Sold it two weeks ago and am looking for and ultralight solo canoe. Had one lined up in Daytona but it got sold just prior to being able to head up there a few days ago. It was listed right here on this site. Have two Kevlar Wenonahs up at summer home in Maine but did not have roof rack to transport until arriving here for winter. Just installed it this past week. Now trying to either find someone to bring one down from Maine or buy another for down here. Good luck with your not so far off retirement.
Bob
bossip2