HeLLo !! Kinda long.

Introduce yourself. It all starts with your first post. Jump in, the water's fine.
bass7858

HeLLo !! Kinda long.

Post by bass7858 »

My name is Donnie. I live in Lakeland. I recently returned to the salt Sunday July 29 2012 as a wader @ the Skyway after being away for about 12 yrs due to work and a divorce. Thru the divorce i lost all my fishing gear. 3 yrs after divorce got a girlfriend who likes to fish but hasnt since she was a young child and all i can say is things sure have changed alot since i was fishing. Braided line was just starting to be popular back then and i never tried it.
So we went to bass pro saturday and bought a couple penn spinning combos, takle box and arti's. My objective Sunday was to go and wet a line see what others were doing.
We had the normal misfires that neophytes have but had a great time. Mite have forgot everything i know about fishing but still remembered sun screen, mosquito bait, beer, chairs, beach umbrella, food.

we watched 3-4 gents w/livebait catching pins, needles, a few trout. Next time i'll be rigged for live bait. I had been considering a kayak/canoe/small skiff with 4-5 horse motor as a way to get off the beach. Small skiff got ruled out as u usually need a ramp, gas, registration, etc. the only experience i have w/canoes was not comfortable. I think a kayak or possibly 2 would fill the bill.

Got to talk to a fellow who came up with an older green Manta on top of a little Kia sedan. Very nice and very eager to share about the kayak. He disappeared around a tiny mangrove island about 8 am and was still out fishing @ 1:30 pm. It was interesting to note that allthough he had a crate or two with rod holder and a small cooler for drinks the whole rig was really spartan. no fancy seat or storage or hatches. But he did tear out about 7:30 am and was still out about 1:30 so i have to presume he was comfy and had all he needed.

We packed up about 1:30 and circled the north island checking it out. Saw a fellow with a Hobie Pro Angler and talked to him as he was loading up. Loves his boat too. Was amazed at the info these guys were willing to share about their boats and the local fishing.

So guess i mite be asking a few questions about kayak fishing.
Hope to get into it and possibly see some of you guys soon.
Tite Lines!!
JoeS

Re: HeLLo !! Kinda long.

Post by JoeS »

Welcome
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
sfcscott

Post by sfcscott »

Welcome. When you finally break down and buy your kayak you will not be disappointed. I am addicted. I did have a boat and fished quite offer but after selling it I found myself wanting to be on the water again. I purchased my kayak and it has been therapy ever since. Good luck and I hope to see you on the water.

Scott :salute:
Scott
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

And so it begins.............

Welcome!

~Dave

Creatures of Habit, Tallahassee Florida