New member from good ol' Ruskin

Introduce yourself. It all starts with your first post. Jump in, the water's fine.
ruskinTR

New member from good ol' Ruskin

Post by ruskinTR »

Hello everybody,

Just wanted to introduce myself, I'm Thomas. I've been Kayak fishing for about two years, but last Thursday I ran into a lady down at Cockroach Bay who was really friendly, and after we struck up a conversation, she pointed me to this forum. I grew up fishing Cockroach Bay, Bishops Harbor and the Little Manatee River, and I take great pride in being a true Floridian. I've never seen snow if that gives you any idea....well, except that one little dusting in 87 when I was 4.

Hopefully in the not too distant future, I'll be getting a new kayak, because the 14' Old Town Dirigo I'm currently paddling is getting tiresome to fish from, although it is fast and tracks beautifully.

Looking forward to talking to some new people, but one quick question...I took a look at a kayaking forum about a year ago, and discovered that keeping legal fish to eat / using live bait was sneered at. I use artificials every time I go out cover more water, but a shrimp or greenback free lined into the mangroves is a ton of fun. In my experience, much like fly fishing for trout in North Carolina, finding the fish (and good presentation) is the trick. As long as what's on the end of your line is presented well, it'll probably be eaten. What are the general feelings on these two things on this forum?

Tight lines
americanrobster

Re: New member from good ol' Ruskin

Post by americanrobster »

Welcome!

If you want to keep a fish, as long as it's in season and legal, go for it.

My view on live bait is that its a hassle to deal with from a kayak and when on a kayak you want things to be simple.

The only time I take live bait with me on a kayak is if I take my friend and his kids out so that way the kids can catch a fish.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
BigFlyReel
Supporter 2011 - 2013

Post by BigFlyReel »

Welcome to the forum!

IMHO - if it's legal and you want to take it home, it'll look pretty on your plate! No worries.

Like the Robster, I prefer artificials in the kayak for simplicity's sake, at least on the flats. I have no problem with a shrimp or a chunk of mullet if things are slow to get my nine-year-old's drag singing.

Best of luck!
____

Native "Slayer Propel 13"
Native "Ultimate 12"
ruskinTR

Post by ruskinTR »

Thanks for the welcome guys (even though you both jabbed me with the "Live bait is for kids" deal!!). Looking forward to meeting some new people, and hopefully sharing some local knowledge of my area.

Something I discovered not too long ago that has increased the simplicity of having a few shrimp on the boat...I keep a small soft sided cooler on the boat. Fill it halfway with ice, cover the ice with seawater soaked newspaper, put the shrimp in, cover with a seawater moistened paper towel, and you're done. Shrimp are alive all day, without having to drag around a bait bucket, spill water, etc.

Took the girlfriend out last Thursday for her first Kayak fishing trip, and only her second fishing trip ever. Third freaking cast, and she lands this guy.

She's also a professional chef, so after I cleaned her fish, she whipped up this....Pan Fried Redfish Tacos w/ a Chipotle Lime Napa Cabbage Slaw.

Anybody regularly fish Little Cockroach Bay? Ive done really well there the last week or so.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

One of the requirements of a new member is to have us over for dinner. Should we come Monday or Tuesday? That food looks great. She should post in our recipe section.

As far as keeping fish, go for it, I do it when I can. It keeps she who must be obeyed happy.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Rik

Post by Rik »

I rarely go out fishing without my fish bag. As long as you stay within the rules, no problems here.

The whole bait thing is more a point of good natured jabs then it is anything else. I broke my 'no bait' rule last tarpon season and I have a feeling that rule will stay broken.

Personally, I don't use shrimp because I don't like what the harvest of shrimp does to the resource. That's my personal opinion. Millions of shrimp are sold every day for bait so I doubt my stand will do much to make a dent but it makes me feel better.

When's dinner?
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Deek
Supporter 2011 - 2014
Supporter 2011 - 2014

Post by Deek »

welcome :salute:
Jackson, Big Rig
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

And she cooked it? Nice! Welcome aboard. Personally I'm throwing arti's unless I'm trying to catch meat like sheeps or snappers at which point I'll toss natural baits such as crabs or shrimp. My stickpotting uncle has taught me how the bigger inshore fish love cut bait but I just can't find the patience to sit there in a kayak and wait while it's soaking.
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Nice to meet you Thomas, hope you enjoy the commander as much as I did.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
ruskinTR

Post by ruskinTR »

Took it out to CRB yesterday, and loved it. Standing took a little practice, but I'll get better at it. Thanks again.