another FNG

Introduce yourself. It all starts with your first post. Jump in, the water's fine.
mayhem

another FNG

Post by mayhem »

Didn’t want to run the risk of being labeled a “lurker” so I suppose I’ll do the formal intro and jump into the water here with everyone else and start taking my lumps.

I’m a FNG.

Moved here to St. Pete a few years ago from San Diego where I spent A LOT of time on the water surfing, but never did much fishing to speak of. Life has gotten crazy busy to where I’ve mothballed the surfboards and I truly miss being on out the water. Recently a friend of mine introduced me to fishing from a kayak out at Weedon Island one beautiful weekday morning where I proceeded to catch a slot red within 30 minutes. Pure joy.(though I haven’t managed one since)

…So now the fishing gods have afflicted me with this crazy obsession for catching fish from a kayak. My wife thinks I’ve lost my mind, and my daughter now draws pictures of kayaks for me. The joke’s on me because I haven’t managed to hook up with much since then- but I’m having an absolute blast learning... and planning the next session. I read this forum, went to a demo day and bought a couple of books…and of course some tackle – that’s been the most problematic part to explain to my wife. (I’m waay open to some advice here)

I know I represent the explosion of newcomers to the sport, but I’m a respectful dude, I really enjoy the abundance of nature around us in this area and watching the sunrise out in a kayak with a line in the water is pretty f-ing cool to me. Now if I can just catch some fish.
Honesty is the best policy - when there is money in it.
Mark Twain
justabucup

Re: another FNG

Post by justabucup »

A little Mayhem is always welcome here.
Credo quia absurdum
Evan

Post by Evan »

Nice avatar.

Got some great advice on how to explain gear purchases to the wife recently - make sure to use the words "safety equipment" whenever possible.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
mayhem

Post by mayhem »

Great tip Evan, hadn't thought of that! Safety is paramount! Just bought another $30 of "safety equipment" today.
Honesty is the best policy - when there is money in it.
Mark Twain