SUP Fishing, Bonefish

Naples to West Palm and south, including the Keys
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

SUP Fishing, Bonefish

Post by krash »

Went out yesterday, weather was not the best, tides were backwards, but I wanted to take the paddle-board out and test a new fin, and see how it pole'd.

Thought I'd make a post to liven up this place and SUP fishing.

Took the Voyager out today, got up checked the radar, wind finder, and local weather all looked good, left early and headed South.. but was depressed when I started seeing lightning as I was heading down the pike. Arrived at my targeted launch site at 5:45 to a flag standing out with a very stiff SE wind and lightning.. waited around for a while ran into Cordel with a client and we bs'd for a while.. he launched and I did also a couple minutes later around 6:30 giving him a good half a mile head start on the flats.

Took the push pole today, first time poling the SUP.. It poles pretty well, but as I have said before its a very noisy hull, slap, when there is any chop, waves, or ripples. I did also take an unexpected swim fighting a 12" Cuda, wasn't paying attention and stepped backwards flipping the SUP even though the water was only about waits deep with about 12" of mud bottom, first time glad to get that over with.

After paddling and poling a while I started seeing some swirls from spooked fish, no idea what they were expected Cuda. The water was deep, a good 4 to 6 feet, dark, and not much sunshine to brighten it up. Decided to take a few blind cast and Zing.. fish on. and after about 20 minutes of some long runs and a nice sleigh ride brough a very nice Bonefish to the board. Cordel was not in sight any more he was around the corner.
Funny thing is that rod was rigged for a fresh water trip, had a Zoom fluke which I would not normally have been using in the Bay, and it was the only one I had.

On the deck for unhooking and a photo

Off to fight another day...

No more Bones sighted all day, did see a nice little BlackTip about 3' but nothing else but cudas, but there were some big Cudas cruising the flats today.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
Wuluf

Re: SUP Fishing, Bonefish

Post by Wuluf »

Very late reply......

That is a huge Bonefish! Those are tough to catch. Well done!
Wuluf