Chokoloskee fishing trip next weekend! May 2nd, 3rd, and 4th

Naples to West Palm and south, including the Keys
snives0351

Chokoloskee fishing trip next weekend! May 2nd, 3rd, and 4th

Post by snives0351 »

I am heading down to Chokoloskee for the first time to celebrate my 27th birthday next weekend. My buddy and I always do a kayak fishing trip every year around this time and we figured why not check out the everglades. I have always heard there is excellent fishing there and I look forward to testing the waters. If someone could give me some pointers as to where to fish, where not to fish, and any tips from a fellow kayak fisherman, they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again and as always tight lines!

-Joel
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Re: Chokoloskee fishing trip next weekend! May 2nd, 3rd, and

Post by krash »

Check with my buddy iFishhead on FishTheFuture , he's mastered the Choko area and is always willing to help out new blood. Don't tell him I sent you... and if you know lconn I would not mention his name either !
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
Skeeter

Re: Chokoloskee fishing trip next weekend! May 2nd, 3rd, and

Post by Skeeter »

I have done just as well fishing Choko Bay as I have on 50 mile runs back in the Glades or down the coast. Most of the fishing guides run right past the bay to far away fishing spots because a client wont spend big money to fish 200 feet off the dock.
You used to be able to put a kayak in and park for $10 at the Smallwood Museum at the very southern tip of the island. From there just head a few hundred yards into the bay and start looking for likely spots.
Wear shoes that will withstand oyster bars and be careful about getting out of the boat over a mud bottom, some of it is like quick sand. If your going any farther than the bay, take charts, GPS, VHF radio, and mosquito netting.
Best lures for me have been the Exude Gold Dart, Yo Zuri shallow runner, and Johnson gold spoons.
Its a beautiful place to fish, good luck.
Fishin Worms and Investment Advice Inc.