Flamingo 06-13.14-2013

Naples to West Palm and south, including the Keys
godsmack481

Flamingo 06-13.14-2013

Post by godsmack481 »

Hey everyone, I'm new on this site, and I thought I would open with my last fishing trip to Flamingo. I had every intention of heading to Snake Bite, but the weather did not permit on both days. Thursday the weather was horrible, lots of rain clouds, and later on a lot of lightning around 11am. None the less, as stubborn as I am I ended up launching around 7:30am, which to me is a late start. I've fished there many times by boat, but never by kayak. I caught my first red on my way to Joe Kemp in the channel that runs between the flat and the mainland. It was a tiny red, but a red none the less. My girlfriend later hooked up to a nice slot red in the same channel. Afterward the fishing died down and only a small trout, a ladyfish, a jack, and sail cat were caught.

I went out the next day and launched at 6:30am, still too late by my standards but I fished anyway. I mean, come on, I was there I might as well. The weather was great, but very windy so I stayed pretty close to the marina. Right outside the marina I saw mullet being slammed. I cast out and got a nice slot red that was running my line out. Nice to here that drag sing again. I went over to Joe Kemp, lost one red, and landed another smaller red.

All in all for my first time yakin around Flamingo, getting my first red ever, I had a great time. My new kayak is going to see that place a lot, and as I saw in posts about West Lake, it is a great lake to fish. I have caught lots of trout before at Flamingo but West Lake was one place I ended up with an oversize gator trout. My buddy has caught snook, tarpon, and trout there and I have heard reports of reds in there as well. I would kayak it, but since I am new to yakin the glades I am a little weary of crocs.

I know this was a somewhat of a fishing report, but if anyone has any experience or advice about crocs while yakin, I am open ears.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Re: Flamingo 06-13.14-2013

Post by DaveR »

One of my favorite places but I don't get down there much. Grand slammed in West Lake. They are all there!
I don't have any experience with the crocs other than a little guy hat made me his pet for a while. A buddy of mine however has mo bigger stories to tell. You are right to be wary but don't let em scare you off the water.
Welcome!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
godsmack481

Post by godsmack481 »

An old friend of mine just fished West Lake yesterday, said it's overgrown with weeds, and since all the rain we have had there is a lot of fresh water in that lake now. Wondering if this week I should give it a shot anyway, or to give the inside of Flamingo a shot.
TK

Post by TK »

If the grass is high in the center of the lake, stick to fishing the dead fall around the perimeter. This is where you will find the snook and tarpon.

West Lake hasn't been itself since Wilma and Katrina. I think those storms may have altered the way the water moves through The Lungs and Long Lake into West Lake. The water has been pretty fresh since then.

You definitely have to watch your 6 with gators and crocs regardless of where you fish.

There are always fish to find in Coot Bay as well, and it is an easy paddle.
"I am trying to catch tarpon, but these snook keep getting in the way!"
godsmack481

Post by godsmack481 »

I made a long paddle from Flamingo to Coot Bay this past Thursday and didn't get as much as a hit. My girlfriend didn't want to launch from Coot Bay Pond, so by the time we got out there the sun was way up, and too tired to paddle around the Bay. What time, and where is best to fish around in Coot Bay?
TK

Post by TK »

Like most of Flamingo - it's an early bite. Ditch the GF, launch from Coot Pond and work the edges of Coot Bay early.

I am surprised you didn't catch anything in Buttonwood Canal. when the boats are ripping through there, the fishing can be quite good! Especially for smaller snook and tarpon.
godsmack481

Post by godsmack481 »

Well we saw small tarpon rolling, and my gf hooked a small snook at the bridge in Buttonwood, but it spat the hook. As for her, she loves to go fishing, I like taking her out there.
TK

Post by TK »

I guess then you will have to be at the Buttonwood launch a bit earlier so you are out in the Bay a bit earlier.

Being honest, she will not enjoy the trip through the tunnel into Coot Bay. But it saves a 4 mile paddle, and if you have your hurry up shoes on, you can be in Coot Bay within 15 minutes of launching from the pond - maybe less.

Just remember - there is no fishing allowed in the pond.
godsmack481

Post by godsmack481 »

Yeah I remember reading about that you can't fish in the pond. Just curious, is the fishing normally good out of Coot Bay? What sort of artificials work well in there?
TK

Post by TK »

fishing in Coot Bay is very good.

I typically throw shad tail jigs or some sort of jerk bait.

I have seen top water and all sorts of crank baits also be very effective.

If you have the patience to throw a fly rod from your kayak, you will also be in business.