Fishing Report 10/7/12

Naples to West Palm and south, including the Keys
TRKpoker

Fishing Report 10/7/12

Post by TRKpoker »

Went out at 6:30am and back at the dock at 12:30pm from the Pelican Harbor launch. Fished North of the 79th street causeway. Weather was overcast with a few sprinkles and light winds.

Fishing was simply on fire except for the slack tide time when even tossing grenades wouldn't even get fish. Tons of jacks in the bay but not that many trout hook ups. Fishing with a new guy who had only fished out of his kayak once before and was only his second time on the bay. He had 6 trout in the boat along with lots of jacks before I had my first trout. Between us we must have gotten 30 jacks+ and about 15 trout. Both of us got our personal best with him getting a 22 1/2" trout and I topped my best with a 25 1/2" trout.

Was a rather sad personal best in one way because the trout simply didn't fight. Damn thing lodged the lure between his gills and all he did is shake his head while I brought him in. Gill damage would have killed him so ...yea he made some damn fine fish tacos!

I am the bottom guy.
UrbanLegend

Re: Fishing Report 10/7/12

Post by UrbanLegend »

Nice size trout. What size were the jacks? I haven't heard of that many being caught on one outing in a while.
TRKpoker

Post by TRKpoker »

1/2lb up to 6lb....but the VAST majority were 1/2-1 1/2lb

They were so thick 90% of the time when I brought one in there were 5-20 under my canoe following the one I had on. There was also a ton of other jack like fish that way back in the day we would use for kingfish, dolphin, etc off shore. Most of these were really small 4-8" long.

At one point I saw some fish pushing water quite a ways off. They were moving fast so as soon as I was in casting range I launched my surface popper at them and instantly a 10+ lb jack was on (he could have been 20+lb for all I could tell but he was big) and after about 15 seconds he figured out he was hooked and took off. My 20lb leader was cut but I am rather sure it was cut off by the fish surrounding him.
Urban Legend II

Post by Urban Legend II »

TRK,

UL and I are from the Orlando area and fish mostly in Titusville or over in the Tampa Bay area. I am trying to convince him to join me in December for a week-long trip down to Homestead, AFB, and Key Largo. Just wondering if you or ANY of the guys in S. Florida would be willing to show us Central Florida guys around the water down there.

I am currently serving our great nation in Tarin Kowt, Uruzgan Province Afghanistan, and am in desperate need of a "fishing vacation"!

Deployed shortly after my last post back in January, see
EAST COAST BULL@#$%!!!!! Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:40 pm http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtop ... =7&t=36223" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any of you guys willing to help us (me!) out.
Hobie Pro Angler 14

"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job"
TRKpoker

Post by TRKpoker »

While I would meet up with you guys if I could depending on the dates I really dont know those areas. Keep in touch about when your going and I will see if we can hook up and do some fishing. All of my fishing is quite a ways North of where your talking.