IRL - chasing the rainbow 12/27/09

Naples to West Palm and south, including the Keys
Redfishn'Ale

IRL - chasing the rainbow 12/27/09

Post by Redfishn'Ale »

It’s always freezing when I have a day off, always.

So I was supposed to fish Flamingo with TK but he didn't sound so thrilled about the weather and I knew it would be hell on the outside so after I didn't hear back from him I figured he was finding something else to do and I purposed to my buddies that we head North to the IRL and try the West bank for once...I've never fished the west side of the lagoon.

We had NNW winds so we figured we'd launch from the snook nook and head north while pitching at docks...it sucked, just ladyfish, everywhere. We had enough at about 9am, we paddled back and decided to launch somewhere up near the power plant, screw the wind we said...idiots.

The East side of the IRL was chop city; we could only fish very small pockets and coves, basically within a 1/2 mile of the launch. Needless to say I wasn't very happy about it and while my buddy Angelo decided to really pick apart this particular bank me and my buddy Kenny went chasing the rainbow...looking for...I don't even know. We get back from our sojourn, soaking wet, cold, and tired to find Angelo catching snook. As we paddle up he yells, "watch me catch one on this cast" and sure enough reeled in a snook. He had found this ledge off the shoreline, a big hole that was literally stacked with snook.

The wind and chop were actually great assets as we were being quite loud and getting pulled into the mangroves left and right...the fish didn't mind, they couldn't hear us over the chop I'm sure. In the end Angelo caught 16 snook and 4 reds, I got 9 snook, and Ken got the shaft with 3 snook. None of them were over 21'', but on a day when I didn't expect to catch much it was very welcome...it also gave Angelo the opportunity to talk smack the whole ride home, which, was entertaining.
Malibu Kayaks Pro Staff