Keewadin...12-21-23-09

Naples to West Palm and south, including the Keys
Redfishn'Ale

Keewadin...12-21-23-09

Post by Redfishn'Ale »

It was cold!!!

But we decided to go anyway as my buddies in school have limited days off, we knew the fishing would be horrible but at least now that I have that Stealth 14 I can carry a 72qt (or 98 can, however you prefer to look at it) cooler...so even if there’s not one fish present I'll be comfortable with BBQ and beer.

We took our time launching from Shell Island Road down near Marco Island, got on the water about 3pm and slowly coasted to the beach...not much fishing along the way, caught a ladyfish I tried to keep for bait but it pooped on me and then slithered its way back into the water.

Jager and a foot-coal will keep you warm

it will also turn coolers and chair against you

Upon arrival we set up camp and caught a few ladies from the beach for shark bait...we had lines out almost constantly and only had two runs the whole trip, odd for Marco I thought but maybe those 46 degree overnight temps had something to do with it.

The first morning I woke up at daybreak and decided to try my luck with the outgoing tide. I was blown away that I actually caught 5 snook off the beach that morning, everyone else woke up just in time to watch me release my last one and then proceed to cook breakfast while they all pitched at nothing...good stuff.

We spent the days on the beach relaxing, there was nobody else on the beach and I think we might have counted a dozen boats until the last day, quite peaceful and a nice change from the hecticness of the holiday season. The next two mornings followed in the same pattern, whoever woke up first caught the snook and the rest of the day would be fishless...we didn't mind though.

Improvise

Pelican Frenzy

got one more on the way in

We set out with the incoming tide on the 23rd and coasted back into the launch, even with a 20 knot breeze to fight against their wasn't much resistance...that tide just rips you right back into the backcountry. I was home by 3pm, and back to rushing around like a fool...I think next year I’m camping the entire week of Christmas and avoiding that whole mess altogether, Christmas on a deserted beach sounds really nice.
Malibu Kayaks Pro Staff
trash.can.slam

Post by trash.can.slam »

Looks like an awesome trip despite the cold. I'm definitely jealous.
finatic
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by finatic »

Nice!
Sorry we missed hooking up. We played our cards and went to Key largo vs. Flamingo.
The artist formally known as Snookfinatic

finaticdesigns.com
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Great pics and report as usual Roland. Bet it was fun.

Those British Snook? ...sure could use a tan. :lol:
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -