Loxahatchee 10-21-09

Naples to West Palm and south, including the Keys
Redfishn'Ale

Loxahatchee 10-21-09

Post by Redfishn'Ale »

Had one day off this week from work, of course the weather called for 15-25mph winds anywhere I was planning on heading: Choko, Mingo, the IRL, and the home front, all blown out…left only one place to go.

We hit the water at around 7:30 and paddled downstream, the water is super low and from speaking with a ranger on our way out we found out that the canal is blocked due to some construction project. I wonder what this will mean for the winter months when there are naturally low water levels, now compounded with this construction situation?

There was no one on the water today so we decided to really take our time and pick apart the river bit by bit to see if we could find any new honey holes. We caught a huge variety, nothing huge though, biggest bass of the day was around 2lbs, biggest snook was around 15’’, we caught mangrove snappers oddly enough, Mayan’s, bluegills and all sorts of other sunfish, and a couple of gar as well. Me and Ken run a personal tournament every time we fish, today was no exception and I would have lost had Ken not “Palm Beach released” a few snook and a couple of bass…he tried to tell me leadering a largemouth should count as a landed fish...

Both me and Ken had been up late the night before so we took an impromptu nap on the kayaks in a lazy part of the river…when I woke up I had drifted a bit and suddenly realized what an easy morsel I must look like to any hungry gators around…we saw a lot today, one big fella around 9’…they were sluggish at least. On the paddle back in Ken bumped a log and a turtle fell into his kayak and started freaking out…pretty funny to watch, Ken didn’t think it was that funny.

We headed down past the turnpike and I-95 and turned back, got back to the truck around 3:30pm (the fishing was not very productive on the paddle back) loaded up and rambled on out of there, good day.
Malibu Kayaks Pro Staff
Tide1on

Post by Tide1on »

Cool report and pictures! Like the gator shots!
Looks to be an interesting place to paddle.
NATIVE Redfish14
Your Wallet - The one place Democrats are willing to drill

Steve
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

One of your coolest reports Ro. Luv the nature shots. Was that turtle a Cooter?
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
bonefishwhisperer

Post by bonefishwhisperer »

another great save...great shots as usual
Gen 9:2 "And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered." .... even God likes Dreads....