Flamingo 10/09/09

Naples to West Palm and south, including the Keys
Redfishn'Ale

Flamingo 10/09/09

Post by Redfishn'Ale »

My buddy Cory was down from VA for a few days and before I could mention a few fishing spots he asked me "you ever heard of Flamingo?". I was little worried about having a boat for Cory since he a pretty big dude at 6'4'' 255lbs, luckily I have the Stealth 14 now, thank god, he would have never fit in that whistler but he was ready to squeeze into whatever just to get out there.

We had a late start at around 6:30, headed out East from the marina and the first few spots didn't produce a single hit, we paddled further out in the hopes of finding the fish, we did.

The middle part of the morning was spent watching topwaters flying from snook hits and later on the reds started to show up. Couldn't connect on the topwaters so we switched to some DOA cals and Cory hooked up with to little guys, he was happy none the less.

The tide was out around 11am so we started heading back towards the marina, caught a couple of more snook on the way and when we reached the marina Cory saw all the tarpon rolling and couldn't contain himself. I told him it was a good idea in broad daylight but he pitched a Cal at them and sure enough hooked up. Now I don't know if it was a sign from the Park gods but Cory snapped his St Croix on that 10-13lb tarpon, he said he didn't care but it burned me just to watch it happen.

All in all it was a great day on the water, I was more content to watch Cory have fun so I didn't cast much, caught a couple of snook early on and then just sat back and pointed out intriguing points and potholes to him for the rest of the morning...at least thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

Malibu Kayaks Pro Staff
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

Its good to see you posting again. Are you going to be making a bunch of camping trips into the backcountry again this year? If so I certainly hope you will be posting you adventures here like you did last year.

Sounds like a fun trip you had with your buddy. Congrats.
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Bangin report as usual Rolando. Looks like a perfecty hot day in paradise.
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Redfishn'Ale

Post by Redfishn'Ale »

ChrisR wrote:Its good to see you posting again. Are you going to be making a bunch of camping trips into the backcountry again this year? If so I certainly hope you will be posting you adventures here like you did last year.

Sounds like a fun trip you had with your buddy. Congrats.

you know it man, just waiting for those first few fronts to cull the grey horde
Malibu Kayaks Pro Staff
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

RFA,
welcome back, good to see your reports as always.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
Redfishn'Ale

Post by Redfishn'Ale »

Krash, did you send me a pm somewhere a bit ago? I can't recall where and now I don't see it
Malibu Kayaks Pro Staff