The Carbide Flats (Mims) 7/12/10

West Palm to Jacksonville
Devodud

The Carbide Flats (Mims) 7/12/10

Post by Devodud »

I took a short fishing trip to the Carbide Flats on the morning July 12th after I got off of work (12hr. night shift).

I got there at about 8:30 am and began fishing in about 5 ft of water.
I immediately noticed that there were a lot of trout out there because they were destroying my jig (DOA CAL white grub 1/4 oz jighead) but wouldn't take it deep enough for me to set the hook. So I took off the jig head and dangled the grub on just a hook about 18" below a DOA deadly popping cork using no weights on the line. After I did this I caught about 15 trout in the next 30 min the biggest only being about 16", the rest were between 12" and 15"

I stopped getting hit by trout and started catchin gafftop sail catfish so I put the jig back on and landed this 20" bluefish on the first cast, I caught a few more smaller ones after that.

Thinking I could catch a bunch of these bluefish I switched to a bluebacked suspending rapala. I didn't catch any bluefish on it but I did start catching trout again. After 5 fish the trout bite turned off again. I started throwing the rapala around some crab traps in 7ft of water and found lots of fun in the form of Ladyfish in the 25"-30" range in abundance. I casted the rapala but they wouldn't bite the bait prefering the live whitebait that was swimming around. I tried working the bait really slow allowing it to suspend for 10-15 seconds in between jerks and bingo, I caught a 30" ladyfish followed by 3 more.

After that I caught a few more tiny trout and some more catfish.

I left around noon.
If you're gunna be stupid, you gotta be tough!!